I LOVE MUSIC, TURNING DJ  WAS A NATURAL  PROGRESSION:  ABHAY DEOL

Kanksha Vasavada (BOMBAY TIMES; May 4, 2024)

Abhay Deol, who dons many hats (actor, producer, art lover), recently made his debut as a DJ at a newly opened arcade, Ballers Ahmedabad on Sindhu Bhavan Road, Ahmedabad. The Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (ZNMD) actor tells us, “I love music and used to make mixtapes as a child. I learnt how to work on a DJ console, and this was a natural progression. Now, I can mix the music that I have collected over the years and play it.”

He adds, “I feel humbled by the response I received for my gig. Amdavadis are really warm.” Will he do a DJ tour now? “It is a hobby and I will be back to shoot for films soon. But as a DJ, I feel more confident now to perform in front of people. So, if I get offers, I may be up for it unless I am busy.”

‘I don’t label films as mainstream or independent’
Is it a conscious choice to choose films that aren’t exactly mainstream? He says, “I am always attracted to scripts that are relatable, insightful yet entertaining. I choose films that aren’t completely arthouse or completely mainstream. Be it Socha Na Tha, Dev D, Oye Lucky Lucky Oye or ZNMD, all my films have managed to strike a perfect balance between the two.”

Abhay, who has done independent movies like Road, Movie, adds, “Also, I don’t label films as mainstream or independent. For me, the subject is the main thing. When we use words like ‘independent’ for a film, it means it wasn’t mainstream, and was difficult to make and sell. I make movies that usually don’t get made. They get labelled as independent films as they don’t have the backing of big producers, distributors or directors. Even Ek Chalis Ki Last Local, Oye Lucky… were called independent films back then but had a big producer backed them, that wouldn’t be the case.”

‘Had a great time while working with Shabana Azmi and Zeenat Aman’
Abhay recently wrapped up the film Bun Tikki, which also stars Zeenat Aman and Shabana Azmi. Both the actresses have worked extensively with his uncle Dharmendra, whom he lovingly calls ‘papa’. Abhay says, “I had a great time. Zeenat Aman is the most warm, sweet, and polite person you will meet, and extremely professional. I have also known Shabana for a while. Zeenat ji feels papa is a gentleman, while Shabana is fond of him too. They remembered the good old days of working with him.”

‘Feel blessed that people love my film choices’
Having played unconventional characters, does he feel people expect that from him now? Abhay says, “I feel an actor’s image is built organically. I have always experimented with my characters. So, if my image is that I experiment with my roles, and people say they love my choices, it’s a blessing. I feel humbled. I want to do challenging roles-things that I haven’t done before.”

‘Being rebellious got me this far’
In recent times, Abhay has spoken about how he could have done certain things (like handling fame after Dev D) differently in his career. Elaborating on it, he shares, “When you are young and inexperienced, you are ignorant about certain things. As we grow up, we deal with the same situations in a more mature way. I was a rebel, but I am more diplomatic now. Being rebellious got me this far, as it was difficult to make the kind of movies I wanted. While the movies I made between 2005 and 2007 are considered relevant today, it was hard to make them back then. Now, I feel that being diplomatic is going to take me ahead.”

‘I hope that OTT platforms evolve more’
Abhay, who has done OTT projects like JL50 and Trial by Fire, believes there is room for improvement (for OTT platforms). He says, “When a medium is new, it has nothing to lose and you can experiment with everything. But once you grow bigger, you have a certain responsibility, and you tend to take fewer risks. When organizations prioritize business over creativity, the downfall begins. So, I hope that platforms can evolve more because I feel it’s time to be bold and take risks once again.”