Meera Vohra (BOMBAY TIMES; February 17, 2019)

Director Madhur Bhandarkar fulfilled a long time wish of visiting the mega fair of Ardh Kumbh Mela at Prayagraj this week. “I’m happy that I was able to fulfill what I wanted to do for a long time,” said the filmmaker, who took part in the Ganga Aarti that took place there. “The dip in the river Ganga was an once-in-a-lifetime experience. The water was really cold. But once I submerged in it, I forgot everything and just savoured the experience,” he added.

The National Award winning director explored the Kumbh Mela extensively during his two-day trip there. “I went to the various akharas, met the sadhus and gurus. In fact, I visited an akhara post-midnight and filmed certain things. It was serene, beautiful and blissful in Kumbh,” he said.

Madhur found a lot of change, in terms of visitors at the Kumbh. “Earlier, Kumbh was projected as more of a rural fair. But I was surprised to see a lot of people from the metros like Mumbai, Delhi and, Kolkata also being a part of it. I also bumped into some musician friends from Israel. Having said that, there is a vast global presence at the Kumbh this time, the proof of which you’ll also find on social media,” he said.

Kumbh is also every creative person’s delight, believes the Indu Sarkar director. “Kumbh has so many layers and stories to it, which is interesting from the point of storytelling,” he elaborated.