Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; February 17, 2019)

It’s rare to see a filmmaker who is able to laugh at himself while trying to make others laugh. But, director Indra Kumar, who started off with serious films like Beta (1992) and Raja (1995), now jokes that no one takes him seriously. His career had a serious scare in 2016, when a copy of Great Grand Masti leaked online prior to its release and the filmmaker went off the radar. Come 2019, he’s back on the scene with Total Dhamaal, the third installment of the Dhamaal franchise. In a candid chat, the director talks about the importance of the new antipiracy law and the need for comedies. Excerpts:

Back in 2016, your film Great Grand Masti had leaked online a fortnight before its release. A few weeks ago, new anti-piracy laws were appended in the Cinematograph Act. This happening right before your next release seems like life’s a come a full circle, isn’t it?
I think I was the only one who suffered the way I did in the entire history of the film industry. I welcome this new amendment, but it will make a difference only when it is actually practised. Great Grand Masti was three years of hard work. I had invested a few crores in it. I lost that money as well as whatever I was hoping to earn from it, because it leaked online. I hope things change with this new law. But I had to move on, so I started working again. I began writing Total Dhamaal, which eventually pulled me out of that mess. Work keeps your mind busy and has the power to pull you out of any adversity. You can die brooding, but that won’t help.

You’ve tried to do something new by adopting the adventure comedy genre for Total Dhamaal. Are you nervous about the way the audience will react to it?
From the first day, all of us in the team were confident about making a good film. Box office is a game of destiny. Our funda is very clear — dimaag ghar pe rakh ke aao and enjoy karo. There’s so much negativity in the air today that you just need something to make you laugh without a reason. Filmmakers like Rohit Shetty, Anees Bazmee and I are doing social service by making comedies that can ease the pressure off people’s minds. It’s scary how serious people have become these days.

Today, most filmmakers would not appreciate it if someone called their film a ‘keep your brains at home’ product. You don’t seem to mind that.
Mazaak mein logic kahan hota hai? How can you enjoy jokes if you start reasoning with them? I want people to be mentally disarmed when they come to the theatres; enjoy themselves and go home feeling light. On a roller-coaster ride, you just enjoy the thrills, you don’t ask questions about why it makes you happy, right? I understand that a certain amount of logic is needed in life per se, but if you treat comedies like intellectual dramas, they will only disappoint you. Laurel & Hardy and Charlie Chaplin are regarded as the grandaddies of comedy, and they never offered logic in their humour.

Comedian WC Fields had once said, ‘Comedy is serious business’. Do you agree with that?
Yes, I do. The worst part is that everyone thinks it’s the easiest form of entertainment. If you ask people to write a humorous article, most of them will take a long time to turn it in, because it’s not easy. Writing humour is tough and it has nothing to do with age. The actors in my film, Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit and Ajay Devgn, have all honed their comic sensibilities with age and experience. They’re more spontaneous now and their skill elevates the script to another level. Peter Sellers was a comic star from the word go and with age, he only got better.

After trying different brands of comedy films, you seem to have gravitated towards more family oriented entertainers. Would you ever want to return to your roots — serious films?
To a degree, I think I have succeeded with most genres of comedy and now, I want to make a serious film. No one is taking me seriously (laughs!). I tried making Super Nani and it didn’t work, so I decided to keep my mouth shut for some time. Now, if I make a drama, it will be a modern story. I agree that Super Nani was dated. I had the story for 10 years. By the time we made the film, the subject had become dated. That was my mistake. People have been asking me to make Ishq 2. My point is, how many sequels can I make? Now I want to make a first of something. Mere intentions ko koi seriously nahi leta hai. Labelling works very well in our industry. It has advantages and disadvantages. People smirk at an actor or director who tries to change his core genre. The transition can be difficult. After making comedies for 15 years, this genre is perceived as my safe zone. One day, when I think I’ve had enough of humour, I will make a serious film on my own.

Are you satisfied with the way your career has turned out?
My ambition is to go higher. Of course, how far you get in this industry is a matter of fate. When I decided to make Total Dhamaal, I didn’t know where to start. I went over to Ajay Devgn and said, ‘I am in a mess and I want to make a film with you.’ He said, ‘Indu ji, narrate the idea.’ I did that and here we are today. I knew I had a good script, but I also was in a messed up state of mind. He liked the concept and it all fell into place. After delivering two consecutive flops, people thought mera pack up ho gaya hai. Ajay understood my vision and helped me get it out there. Today, I feel confident that I can imagine or visualise a film like this. There are learnings with every movie. This film is special because it taught me that even if you don’t know how things work, you should try your luck. It’s at least made me more fearless and I now want to tap uncharted territories.