CAST-AWAYS OF SUNKEN SCRIPTS
Talented actors are trolled and criticized for taking certain roles, but is it right to question only the performances?
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 8, 2023)

Sometimes, poor scripts are elevated by great performances. But, what do you expect when best of actors are given sketchy characters in a badly written story? Case in point: Gajraj Rao in Bholaa, Sanjay Mishra in Jogira Sara Ra Ra and more. Such actors, known for their versatility, were reduced to frivolous characters in certain projects, which left their fans, and audience at large, disappointed. The bigger question is: Is it fair to sacrifice talented artistes at the altar of shoddy scripts? Industry experts help us decode.

Actors state their reasons

‘FOCUS ON WHAT’S GOOD FOR ME’
Gajraj Rao says he’s “very selective” with picking films, thus he doesn’t regret taking up any role. “If I start getting bothered by what people like to see, I won’t be able to survive in this industry. I feel, you’re the best judge of your work, so I only focus on what I think is good for me,” he says.

CAST-AWAYS OF SUNKEN SCRIPTS

‘CAN ONLY DO WHAT’S OFFERED’
Renuka Shahane was highly criticized for Govinda Naam Mera (2022), but she doesn’t take “vague opinions” seriously. “If you tell me that this role wasn’t good enough for me, it does not make sense to me. How is it going to change anything for me? I can only do what’s being offered.”

CAST-AWAYS OF SUNKEN SCRIPTS

‘HAVE TO PUT BREAD ON THE TABLE’
Ronit Roy, who played Kartik Aaryan’s father in Shehzada, opines that decisions are often determined by several factors. “I have to create a balance between the films I like and projects that will facilitate putting bread on the table. I never feel short-changed because I sign the film knowing what my role is,” he says.

CAST-AWAYS OF SUNKEN SCRIPTS
‘MAIN KYUN NA KARUN?’
Siddharth Jadhav was brutally trolled for his cringe acting in Rohit Shetty’s Cirkus (2022). He admits that sometimes actors sign up a film only to collaborate with a director and banner. “Kabhi kabhi achche logon ke saath kaam karna bhi impactful hota hai. That’s why I took up Cirkus and Radhe (2021), which had Salman Khan in the lead and was directed by Prabhudheva,” he says.

There are several factors at play, say trade experts

‘NOT THE ACTOR’S FAULT’
Taran Adarsh feels that actors’ judgement can in no way be blamed for a script misfire. “Actors very well know what they are signing up for. Nobody is cheating or lying to them or making false promises. This used to happen earlier when there was no hard bound script, but that’s not the case anymore,” he says.

LOST IN TRANSITION
Atul Mohan explains how at times, the character’s strength gets lost in script-to-screen transition. ”Paper par jo hota hai, wo bahut exciting hota hai. I’ve been part of so many narrations where the director described a character in such a way that any actor would get convinced. But it did not translate well in the final outcome.”