Madhureeta Mukherjee (BOMBAY TIMES; October 3, 2026)

From trusting her instincts to choosing the filmmakers she wanted to work with, Preity Zinta has rarely been one to follow the rulebook. On the Bombay Times Lounge, she looks back at the choices, lessons and experiences that have shaped her journey — from Dil Se and Veer-Zaara to the films she picks today. Here’s a glimpse into her candid reflections, some cherished memories and a little PZ wisdom.

‘After Kya Kehna, I was told my career is over, but I’ve always done my own thing’
TaIking about trusting her instincts over industry expectations, Preity says, “I was choosy from the start. Now there are so many more stories to tell, and OTT has a big role to play. I started with Kya Kehna and then I did Dil Se, where I had a 15-minute role. Everyone told me, ‘Your career is over. Pehle toh aap pregnant teenager ka role kar rahe ho and now this small part’. People will always want you to come across a certain way, hence, it’s very important that you cut the noise out and do what you want to do. I wanted to work with Mani Ratnam sir, Shah Rukh Khan and Manisha Koirala, so I did Dil Se. I’ve never followed what should be done, I have always done my own thing. I believe that if you find success, then it’s great. If you face failure, then you only learn from it.”

Preity on the lessons she learnt while working with filmmakers like Yash Chopra, Mani Ratnam and Karan Johar
If you’re really feeling something, then it translates. If you’re trying too hard to do a scene or manufacture an emotion, even that will show. In commercial Hindi movies especially, you are shooting something, and suddenly, you have to break into a song. And because I never went to a formal acting school, I wanted to understand the reason behind certain things. The directors used to tell me, ‘It’s not how you look when you do a scene, it’s how you feel when you do a scene’. If you feel it, it’s there. Film is a director’s medium, so over the years I have learned that when in doubt, just follow the director blindly.

Preity on how her priorities have evolved
Now I’m more instinctive when it comes to my career choices. I try to live in the present. They say, ‘Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is the future, today is a gift’. That’s why we call it the present. For me, it is about what I’m feeling currently. I recently did a film called Batwara 1947, which was very intense, and Vibe was a huge contrast. Also, whatever work I do, has to be worth my time. You have different expectations at different times in your life. When I started out, it was about survival. I had to earn that respect. Now, it is not about survival, but about how I am creatively feeling about a role. I have to leave my kids behind when I come to shoot here, so it has to be worth my time.

Preity on the one movie set she’d love to revisit
Veer-Zaara, any day. I remember when I first met Yash Chopra, I said, ‘Good evening, Mr. Chopra’. And he said, ‘Mr. Chopra? Where have you come from?’ He was so wonderful and he went on to treat me like his daughter. He would feed me such good food on set when we were shooting in Punjab and other locations. After that movie, he never called me Preity, he always called me Zaara.

Which of your characters would thrive on Instagram?
Madam H from Vibe.

Which of your characters would be totally cancelled?
Sonia from Armaan. She’s so politically incorrect that she’d be totally cancelled.

Who would make a better cricket commentator from Bollywood - Shah Rukh Khan or Saif Ali Khan?
That’s a tough one. Shah Rukh in the first half and Saif after the break. They both would be very good.