Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; August 17, 2026)

Set against India’s freedom struggle, Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s 1942: A Love Story returns to the big screen on August 21, 32 years after its release. The film’s tender romance, timeless storytelling and R.D. Burman and Javed Akhtar’s iconic soundtrack have transcended generations. Ahead of the re-release, director Vidhu Vinod Chopra and lead actors Anil Kapoor, Manisha Koirala and Jackie Shroff spoke exclusively to Bombay Times about the film’s enduring appeal. Niharika Bijli, Lead Strategist at PVR INOX, said, “We are delighted to re-release 1942: A Love Story, a film that remains one of the defining musical and cinematic landmarks in Indian cinema.” Excerpts:

1942 was a love story set against India’s freedom struggle. Has the concept and exploration of freedom changed in cinema over the years?
Vidhu: To me, the idea of a period romance, with the softness and simplicity of that time was appealing. There is a dialogue in the film, ‘Saare desh mein aag lagi hai, aur tumko pyaar ki suji hai!’ The response is, “Agar saari duniya pyaar kare toh duniya jale hi kyon?’. I deeply believe in the philosophy of love and the choice of choosing love over hatred. Freedom is a theme that our films have returned to time and again. What I do miss is some of the earliest interpretations, how Haqeeqat (1964), captured the imagination of our country. How some of Dilip Kumar’s films like Naya Daur, Ganga Jumna explored not just freedom, but caste divide. Of course, the concept of freedom is different for this generation of Indians, as it should be for someone who hasn’t witnessed our struggle for it. We have explored this in so many of our titles like 3 idiots, Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh and even 12th Fail. Each of these films depict what freedom meant to the young generation of that time.

Manisha Koirala and Anil Kapoor’s unique pairing and chemistry made history. How challenging was the casting process?
Vidhu: I auditioned countless actors for Naren (Anil) and Rajjo (Manisha), but none of them convinced me. Eventually, I met Anil and shared my dilemma with him. He was hesitant at first and said, “If you give me six months to prepare for the character, I’ll do it.” I told him to take as much time as he needed. Manisha’s audition, too, stayed with me. Her transformation from the first half of the film to the second was incredible. Ultimately, it was the sincerity of Anil and Manisha that made them the perfect choice.
Manisha: Anil had already done so much wonderful work, and as a young actor, I learnt a lot simply by observing him. He came to the set with immense energy every single day. He is spontaneous, generous and always completely present in a scene. We rehearsed, chatted and laughed between takes, and gradually developed an ease that translated beautifully on screen. Looking back, I feel very fortunate that people still remember our pairing with so much affection. That is perhaps the greatest compliment an actor can receive.

Anil, what took you longer to say yes to 1942: A Love Story? What were your apprehensions?
Anil: I wasn’t keen to do the film initially because I had never played such a young romantic lead before. At that stage in my life, I was already a father of three, so mentally, it took some convincing. I kept asking myself, “Can I really pull this off?” In the mid-’90s, Shah Rukh was coming into his own, Aamir was already established, and Bobby Deol was entering the scene. I even asked Vidhu, “Why don’t you cast Aamir or Bobby?” But Vinod’s late elder brother, Veer ji, was convinced that I should do the film. I think he was the one who pushed me to say yes. And, of course, R.D. Burman’s music drew me in. I remember thinking, yaar, yeh music jo hai, yeh gaane aur koi nahi gaa sakta, main hi gaaunga (smiles). Once I said yes, though, there was no looking back. I committed to the film completely. I lost a lot of weight, cut my hair and transformed myself physically, but the real work was internal. I wanted to be as truthful as possible. That’s something Vinod demanded from all of us—absolute honesty. As an actor, that process was demanding, but also incredibly rewarding.

Manisha, you became the epitome of natural beauty and simplicity at the time. Has your understanding of beauty changed over the years?
Manisha: When I look back at this film, I see a younger version of myself with a lot of affection. At that age, beauty was largely about the external, you worried about your hair, costumes and whether the camera loved you. (Laughs.) Life has been a great teacher. Today, I feel beauty has more to do with how you carry your experiences, compassion, courage and even your scars. Time has softened my idea of beauty. I also think cinema has slowly become kinder; there is more space now for people to be themselves rather than fit into a mould.
Vidhu: Even before I cast her, Manisha had stopped shaping her eyebrows, keeping them natural, as was the norm in the 1940s. It was a small detail, but it showed how sincerely she approached the role. All her auditions were also without makeup, which spoke volumes about her commitment as an actor. Almost 80 per cent of her screen time in the film is makeup-free.
Jackie Shroff: Manisha, I would describe as ethereal beauty. I’ve worked with her in several films, and she has always possessed a rare, almost otherworldly quality.

The film’s soundtrack composed by the legendary R D Burman and lyrics penned by Javed Akhtar, is regarded as one of the greatest in Hindi cinema. Take us through its musical journey.
Vidhu: There was never any other choice for me but Pancham da. I didn’t care about his track record in the decade before the film. I had worked with him on Parinda and had always loved his music. But when we began work on 1942, he wasn’t the same person I had known. The industry and time had not been kind to him. I remember the first tune he composed for Kuch Na Kaho sounded like any other Bollywood dance number. I told him, “If this is the kind of music you want to make for me, then we should part ways.” He asked me for a week. When I went back a week later, he played the revised song on his harmonium and hummed the melody. My eyes were closed, and my hands just automatically went up in a ‘waah’. From there on, it was a dream. He was a true artist and I am so grateful that we got to work on this soundtrack together. This album remains a personal favourite of mine.
Anil Kapoor: R D Burman, Javed Saab... what they created was extraordinary. Music is the soul of 1942: A Love Story. Those songs have become timeless, and they continue to introduce the film to every new generation.

What, according to you, defines the enduring legacy of 1942: A Love Story? What makes it relevant even today?
Vidhu: Cinema should inspire, provoke and make you feel seen. With 1942, we wanted to tell a simple love story against the backdrop of one of the most historically significant moments in India’s freedom struggle — the Quit India Movement. I wanted to explore how ordinary people participated in such a monumental movement. There must have been countless untold stories like this, and I wanted to bring some of them to light. Stories like these hadn’t been told in this way before. But I think the film’s greatest legacy will always be its music. We never imagined, while making the film, that 32 years later, its songs would still be such a vital part of popular culture.
Anil: I don’t believe nostalgia alone keeps a film alive. Emotional truth does. Vidhu Vinod Chopra created a world where love felt pure, dignified and deeply emotional, and I was fortunate to be a part of it. What I’ve always admired about him is that he never treats only the lead actor as important. As a director, the final call is always his, but he listens to you. Sanjay Leela Bhansali brought his vision to the songs, Binod Pradhan was behind the camera, Renu Saluja edited the film, and Nitin Desai created that incredible world. Every department was filled with exceptional talent, and that collective brilliance is a big part of what made the film special.
Jackie Shroff: I wasn’t taken seriously as an actor until Vidhu Vinod Chopra cast me in Parinda, which won me acting awards. I had played police roles many times in my career, but he cast me as a patriot-revolutionary in 1942 and then as a terrorist in Mission Kashmir. He never put me in a box. He may seem rigid, but he is actually quite flexible when he believes in something. Anil is like a brother, so it was a treat to work with him and Manisha ji.