Niharika Lal (BOMBAY TIMES; October 16, 2024)

Sohum Shah, the lead of Tumbbad and Maharani, explains why he decided to produce films. During his recent visit to Delhi, he shared, “Cinema ki ye khaas baat hai ki cinema rahega. Itni aafat aayi - piracy, satellite, OTT sab aa gaya, lekin cinema phir bhi hai. The community-watching experience of cinema cannot be replicated. I will always release my films in cinemas. After all, watching a film in a cinema is where it all started for me.” Excerpts from the conversation.

‘Meri jitni education hui hai, woh cinema se hui hai’
Talking about the impact films had on him and how they shaped his understanding of relationships and life, he says, "Mujhe nahi pata aisi film hoti hai toh aise bhai hote hain ya aise bhai hote hain toh aisi film hoti hai. Hum Aapke Hain Koun! dekh ke mujhe laga rishte aise hone chahiye. Mere bhi ek bade bhai thay, toh mujhe itna pyaar ho gaya unse. Hamari relationship itni majboot ho gayi.”

Sohum says that in the 90s', travelling to foreign country felt like something unimaginable to him.
He says, "Log panditji ko patri dikha ke puchhte thay videsh yatra ka yog hai kya? Dilwale Duhania Le Jayenge showed me how Europe is, those leather jackets, and that people drink beer in cans. It was a fascinating world. Meri jitni education hui hai, woh cinema se hui hai, aur Aamir Khan saheb mere guru rahe hain."

‘Mujhe OTT ke mercy pe nahi rehna hai’
Sohum says that as a producer, he will never choose to release a film on OTT when he can release it in theatres. He explains, "Mera ye hai ki mujhe OTT ke mercy pe nahi rehna hai. Main wohi filmein banaunga (the kind of films I want to be a part of) aur theatre mein lagaunga. Chalegi toh theek hai, nahi chalegi toh theek hai! Main meri property bech dunga, woh mujhe chalega, lekin mujhe OTT ke mercy pe nahi rehna hai."

What’s behind this love for releasing films in theatres?
He says, "Theatres are the seed that helped us reach this point. We watched those films and had the entire experience of watching them. When we watched films like Hum, I still remember the impact those dialogues had on us. I still remember all those lines."

Enacting a scene from Hum, where Amitabh Bachchan’s character screams Bakhtawar, Sohum asks, "Woh experience kaise laptop pe ya TV pe shift ho sakta hai? Jo shuruaat hui hai, cinema se hi shuruaat hui hai. Woh hamare conscious nahi, subconscious mind mein hai. Hamare blood mein hai!"

‘Tumbbad is my Mughal-e-Azam’
Sohum says that, according to him, Tumbbad is their Mughal-e-Azam. He explains, "Like we’ve heard so many stories about Mughal-e-Azam - that the diamonds were real and how the film was made with so much passion and love and took so long. In the same way, the bus you see in Tumbbad is an actual bus from the 1930s, the locks, the gates, the cinematography. If we missed one monsoon, we’d have to wait another year for rain. We did VFX in Sweden and background work in America. Humne bahut shiddat aur pyaar se banayi hai.”

He says that before they started shooting Tumbbad, there were already over five years of work behind it in terms of locations and sketchboards. "When I heard the script, I always had this trust that the film would reach somewhere. I had this trust because I felt the film was strong and unique."

Sohum elaborates, "Jo maine uss waqt socha tha ki filmon ka ek universe (prequels, sequels) ho sakta hai, woh ab ho raha hai."

Talking about the core of the story, he says, "We all know that greed is bad. But somewhere, we are all consumed by greed. And greed, not just in terms of money, but also jobs, cars, followers, validation- in all aspects, it's greed. If one takes a step back, they'd realize that most of us operate out of greed, and hence, the story of Tumbbad about greed becomes quite relevant."

Iss industry mein achha kaam karne wale log hi 8-10 hain’
He shares, "I never wanted to be a producer, I had no interest in becoming one. But the kind of films I want to act in, those films weren’t being made. Achha kaam ho nahi raha hai, iss industry mein achha kaam karne wale log hi 8-10 hain, baaki sab mediocre kaam ho raha hai. So, what do I do? When I don’t get good work, I felt like - all right, then I will make the kind of films I want to work in."

"Aamir Khan's 3 Idiots has had a huge impact on the lives of many people. I’d like to share an incident - once, I went to a doctor who told me she was in depression, but when she watched a Shah Rukh Khan film in the cinema, it helped her sail through. Cinema and stars like Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan have contributed to pop culture in a huge way."

Sohum says that being both a producer and actor helps him understand each role better. He explains, "I don’t like holidays, I don’t like to travel, I don’t want to do anything but work - whether I’m acting or producing. I don’t know how to compartmentalize; balancing is a problem for me. I live in extremes. Mera sab kuch ek hai - actor-producer, sab ek hai."