I was hospitalised when Sapne Mein Milti Hai was offered to me: Suresh Wadkar

Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 3, 2023)

Asong that is synonymous to the 1998 film Satya is Sapne Mein Milti Hai. Sung by Suresh Wadkar and Asha Bhosle, the track has, inarguably, earned cult status. The number is quite close to Wadkar’s heart as it came to him at a tough time.

“I was suffering from a heart ailment and was hospitalized when Vishal (Bhardwaj; composer) and Gulzar (lyricist) saab paid me a visit and said, ‘Get well soon and return home. We have a song that you have to record’. As a singer, it’s so relieving when a composer and a lyricist show that kind of trust in you and give you such comfort. I can never forget that day,” says Wadkar, as the song turns 25 today.

He adds that the song was destined to do well. “When we were working on it, we didn’t know it’d do so well. Iss gaane ki kundali bahut acchi thi. Yeh un gaanon mein se hai jisey aap sirf dil se banaate hain, zyada effort daalne ki ya bahut soch ke banaane ki koshish nahin karte,” he shares.

Though Wadkar and Bhosle recorded their parts separately, the seamlessness in the vocals stands out. “Unfortunately we couldn’t record together as Asha tai and my dates didn’t match. I recorded my part first. I think Asha tai did a much better job than me and sounded way better. Also, the way the song was picturized added to the magic,” Wadkar ends.

I was hospitalised when Sapne Mein Milti Hai was offered to me: Suresh Wadkar
------------------------------------------------
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 3, 2023)

Besides impactful performances by actors Manoj Bajpayee, Urmila Matondkar and JD Chakravarthy, Satya is also remembered for is its soundtrack. The song Tu Mere Paas Bhi Hai, rendered by late legend Lata Mangeshkar and singer Hariharan, continues to feature in playlists of music aficionados. Hariharan shares:

“It was a beautiful composition and the lyrics [penned by writer Gulzar] were so meaningful. Iss gaane mein pyaar ka nasha hai. While I was recording it, I was so immersed in the beauty of the song ki aisa feel ho raha tha hum hosh mein hi nahin the. Kisi aur hi duniya mein the.”

The song turns 25 today and the Padma Shri recipient credits Mangeshkar for making it evergreen. “Lata ji was the crowning glory of the track. I feel blessed to have sung such a beautiful song with her. The way she conversed through the song felt magical. I am so thankful to Vishal (Bhardwaj; composer) bhai for giving me the opportunity to be part of the song,” he ends.

Tu Mere Paas Bhi Hai mein pyaar ka nasha hai: Hariharan