Sanjay: I feel fortunate to have started my career under Satish
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 13, 2023)

Extremely saddened and shocked” by the news of Satish Kaushik’s sudden death, actor Sanjay Kapoor mourned the loss and remembered the actor-filmmaker with a throwback photo from the sets of his debut film Prem (1995), which was directed by Kaushik.

“This picture is from the first schedule of Prem in 1990,” shares Sanjay, as he goes on to talk about his experience of working with Kaushik and the bond the two shared. “I knew Satish before Prem happened, as he was also a part of Mr India (1987; starring Sanjay’s brother, actor Anil Kapoor). We already had a really comfortable equation with each other. I feel fortunate that I started my career under his direction,” The Fame Game actor adds.

Calling Kaushik an “extremely hardworking man”, Sanjay recounts, “He was from theatre and when the director himself is an actor, it makes a huge difference because of the way he treats an actor, especially newcomers like me and Tabu (his co-star in Prem). Satish was always so patient in explaining the scenes and making us act.”

The 57-year-old goes on to share that Kaushik was very close to his father, producer Surinder Kapoor. “My father used to really like him and treat him like his own son. He used to come to our place to have vadi aaloo made by my mum. He was a big time foodie. This was before Prem and he was a young boy back then. Boney, Anil, Satish, me and of course Javed (Akhtar, lyricist) saheb being the mentor, formed a group and we were pretty close,” he wraps up.