As told to Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; January 25, 2023)

I have quite a few favourite places when it comes to holidays, but Japan tops the list, followed by England. My first solo trip was to Japan. I went to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo. I didn’t know the language, but the trip turned out to be incredible. It’s a very safe country for solo female travellers, and I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable.

I met wonderful people, stayed in guest houses and hotels, and ate interesting food. People were helpful when I felt lost. It’s a country that’s super punctual, so if a train is late, they would apologize for the delay and give a valid reason. I met an Indian guy in Kyoto and we became good friends. He got me a thermos full of chai and a dabba of parathas.

I find the energy of London to be reminiscent of Mumbai. You can roam around alone, and I would go jogging to Hyde Park. In India, I love Kashmir and it is the wonderland of India. I remember waking up to a snow-clad vista in Gulmarg. I have never seen a more beautiful place.

I always have an itinerary in place when I’m travelling. I love eating, skiing, walking… it’s best to see a city on foot – just wear comfy shoes and clothes, and walk. That’s how I explored Paris.