Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; January 25, 2023)

She’s travelled across the world on holidays and for work, but what’s the one travel goal Sonakshi Sinha hasn’t met yet? A solo trip, which is still on the bucket list! “I really enjoy travelling with friends. We like doing the same things together and are not fussy. It’s important to have likeminded people while travelling,” shares the actress, who always plans a holiday to coincide with her birthday in June.

Sonakshi, who rang in 2023 in Finland, says that the Christmas New Year period is the best time to travel. “By Christmas everybody has checked out of work mode and wants to take a break, leave the year behind, focus on how the next year is going to be and be in a positive mind space. I think travelling is very enriching for the soul,” she adds. Here are some highlights from her travel diaries.

‘I AM PLANNING AN AFRICAN SAFARI NEXT’
I went to Finland and witnessed so much snow for the first time! I did husky sledding, chased the northern lights, went on a snowmobile – and a lot more. I want to visit Japan in the cherry blossom season, though I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it. Among other places that I want to visit is Africa, where I want to go on a safari. I also want to see Machu Picchu in Peru.

‘THE UNDERWATER LIFE IN MALDIVES OPENED MY HORIZONS’
I am an adventurous person, so I like to do stuff that I don’t get to do back home. On the beach, I spend more time in the water, scuba diving and doing water sports. No surprises for guessing my favourite travel destination – Maldives! It has the most beautiful seas I have ever seen. The underwater life – the corals, reefs, sea animals – opened my horizons and changed the way I look at nature.

‘BUDAPEST WAS MY FAVE OUTDOOR SHOOT’
My favourite outdoor shoot was in Budapest for Force 2. I was there for about 50 days, and when I was not shooting, I would take off on my own to explore the city – and it was just stunning. One day, I took a bus tour and saw all the main sites.