I was just not looked at: Ratna on doing less work

Titas Chowdhury (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 11, 2022)

Actor Ratna Pathak Shah, who has been part of critically acclaimed films such as Mandi (1983) and Mirch Masala (1987), says that besides being part of the commercial cinema space, star system also penetrated the art film circuit back in the day. And that, she believes, is what kept her from working frequently: “Our filmmakers weren’t adventurous when it came to casting. They always chose the ones who grabbed eyeballs. In art cinema, it was all about Naseeruddin Shah (husband), Om Puri, Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil.”

Shah rues the dearth of opportunities for her other contemporaries, too: “It was much later that (actors) Pavan Malhotra and Pankaj Kapur got the parts they deserved. Supriya (Pathak; actor and sister) never got the parts she deserved. And I was just not looked at, maybe because I was Naseer’s wife, and they thought I was not interested in working. Thankfully, that’s done with and dusted.”

The Thappad (2020) actor heaves a sigh of relief, as she’s getting to work at a time when most people have retired. “My skill has improved in the last 20 years. Maybe that’s why I’m getting the kind of roles that you see me doing,” Shah ends.