In an exclusive chat, Kareena opens up about her acting comeback after second baby
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 16, 2022)

For a long time, there’s been buzz around actor Kareena Kapoor Khan’s OTT debut. And, in an exclusive chat with us, she’s confirmed that her first web project will be Netflix’s screen adaptation of Japanese author Keigo Higashino’s acclaimed work, The Devotion Of Suspect X, helmed by director Sujoy Ghosh. This also marks Khan’s return to the acting world after delivering her second baby, Jeh, last year.

“I’m very excited to be a part of this project for several reasons. This film will mark my streaming debut and it’s my return to acting after my second child with a stellar cast and crew,” Khan says, adding that the layered narrative of the murder mystery convinced her to take the plunge.

She explains, “The film is a screen adaptation of a global bestseller. It has so many aspects to it — murder, mystery, thrill and much more, which put in the hands of our inimitable director Ghosh is something I am keen to start work on. I’ve seen his films and I love his work. I love that he has his own method and style and is so sure of what he wants to do. Every actor appreciates a director with a vision.”

The freedom to push boundaries as an artiste is something that got Khan curious about the web. “I am excited about my OTT debut and eager to start work on the project. I’m a huge consumer of content on OTT and I’m blown away by the quality of content available that suits every kind of audience. The web world is not new in our house, especially with Saif (Ali Khan, actor-husband), who starred in one of India’s most well-known shows, Sacred Games,” she says.

Lauding the medium for writing a new script for creative voices, especially women, Khan adds, “The films and series (on OTT) these days are more content driven than they used to be, which offers creators, actors and viewers the freedom to experiment, engage and experience an ocean of new stories. And women are definitely leading the way when it comes to this space. The scripts written for them have no confines and that, to me, is the most exciting part.”

The 41-year-old will feature alongside actors Jaideep Ahlawat and Vijay Varma in the project that is yet to go on floors: “I am looking forward to working with them. Both of them are such fine actors.”