Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 9, 2022)

There was a time when actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui was in two minds about doing Kahaani (2012), as he juggled two film sets. As the movie turns 10, he’s glad that he took the plunge. Despite actor Vidya Balan driving the narrative, Siddiqui etched a distinctive place for himself as an investigating officer: “Today, I am proud that I did this film, as there was no looking back for me since then. I am so happy that people loved my role, and continue to do so even today.”

The 47-year-old, who was shooting for Gangs Of Wasseypur (2012) alongside Kahaani, adds, “I wasn’t willing to do Kahaani. But Sujoy (Ghosh, director) showed me a documentary and I got interested.” The realistic lens of Ghosh convinced Siddiqui to take it up.

He adds that the initial buzz of the film didn’t indicate that it would go on to become iconic. “Shuru mein itna idea nahin tha ke film iss tarah hit hogi. In fact, jab film release hui, teen din tak kuch nahin hua. After Sunday, I started getting calls from producers and Sujoy that the feedback is good, and it is growing,” recalls the actor.