Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; January 1, 2022)

Bollywood singer Shilpa Rao’s collaboration with composer-sitarist Anoushka Shankar last year, on the album Love Letters, got her a nomination in the ‘Best Global Music Album’ category for the 63rd Grammy Awards last year. The singer who has given chartbusters like Ghungroo (War), Meherbaan (Bang Bang!), Khuda Jaane (Bachna Ae Haseeno), Ishq Shava (Jab Tak Hai Jaan) among others, recently received the Grammy certificate.

She says, “For somebody who never felt since childhood that she would achieve anything, this was huge. Of course, the Grammy was never on my list, but when I was nominated, I was extremely happy and excited. ”

Shilpa believes it’s persistence that can take an individual a long way. “I think more than talent and hard work, persistence is the key because one has to work hard and never give up even when things do not go your way.”

Shilpa says that she has never looked at her songs as filmi or non-filmi. “Every recording is important to me because I am very emotionally invested in my songs,” she says.

Has the perception of people in the Hindi film music industry changed in any way because she has now got an international recognition? “Well, I have to say that everybody here was quite excited and happy. They were congratulating me from everywhere. Be it Sunidhi Chauhan, Shaan, Vishal Dadlani, Shekhar Ravjiani, Shankar Mahadevan, Pritam...everyone. This means a lot to me because I have worked with them, they are my friends and are a part of my life. We congratulate each other whenever we do things and that means so much to us. When I like a song by another musician, I pick up the phone and congratulate him or her. When people around you are happy to see your progress...that’s a very beautiful way of working,” she ends.


(L-R) Ayanna Witter-Johnson (cellist), Shilpa Rao and Anoushka Shankar