The actor’s wife, Sutapa Sikdar, is surprised that Babil was allowed to leave after a thermal check at the airport, no home quarantine was suggested
BOMBAY TIMES (March 20, 2020)

Yesterday, we had told you about Irrfan’s son Babil, who is studying in London, being unable to return home because of flight restrictions in the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak. His worried mother, Sutapa Sikdar, had taken to social media, seeking government’s intervention in the matter.

The family has finally heaved a sigh of relief with Babil reaching Mumbai in the early hours of Thursday. Sutapa was at the airport to receive him. Once again, she took to her social media account and wrote, “Thanks everyone for the prayers and wishes. Babil is back to India safely. Gratitude to all of you who offered help.”

She went on to add that her experience at the airport was deeply disturbing. Sutapa further wrote, “The flight was late over an hour. While I waited in the airport, I looked around and was aghast. Many had their masks like neck bands and all the hugs and kisses upon arrival made me swoon. I made such a fuss; I took two cars. I didn’t let my child sit in mine and didn’t hug him, was armed with my gloves and scarf so were both the drivers. In the airport, they did a thermal check and let him go. I was really surprised that at third stage in which India is, they did not suggest home quarantine. They made him fill a form with his phone number. I hope it’s not a formality. I will eagerly await for their call after couple of days to check on him. I felt stupid because I think my staff will be careless from now on and think I am mental. That when the govt is not thinking its dangerous, I am isolating my child in an empty flat (well equipped, though) for fourteen days. Because I had mugged up in childhood ‘saavdhani hati durghatana ghati’. Stay safe and take care at the cost of being called mental. And thanks for all the help! (sic)”
------------------------------
Irrfan Khan's wife Sutapa tells mid-day how son Babil returned from UK amid COVID-19 outbreak, kept under self-quarantine for two weeks at their Madh Island residence
Upala KBR (MID-DAY; March 20, 2020)

It has been a frantic few days for Irrfan and wife Sutapa Sikdar, but last morning, the mother of two wore a broad smile as she welcomed son Babil at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport in Mumbai. Babil, who has been pursuing a bachelor's degree in film studies at the Westminster University in London, found himself stuck in the British capital as the United Kingdom braced for a partial lockdown while the Indian government issued travel restrictions amid the Coronavirus pandemic.

To bring attention to the plight of Babil and several other students in foreign countries, Sikdar, on March 17, had shared a post on Facebook that read, "As a mother, I am worried as hell, but I don't understand when the Indian government has been so good with other students, why [is] it not helping Indian students stuck in London? Let the students come back home, my earnest appeal to GoI. (sic)"

Her efforts bore fruit as Babil, 19, returned to India yesterday, and has since been quarantined at their Madh Island home. A source reveals, "Babil's flight was late by over an hour. After he was let out of the airport post the screening, Sutapa whisked him off to their Madh residence where he will be under self-quarantine for 14 days. They are taking the necessary precautions."

Talking to mid-day, Sikdar shares that the past few days have taken a toll on her emotionally. "We were panicking as we could not get in touch with the airlines' offices. It was a nightmare to book tickets to Mumbai. Thankfully, the British Airways helped Babil and we were told [on Wednesday] that he is flying back."

The relief in her voice is evident as she speaks about her elder son. "Thank God Babil has returned safely! [When in London], he was anxious but put on a brave front because he knew that I would be stressed otherwise. For now, we have kept him in home quarantine for 14 days. His classes will be held online."