Madhureeta Mukherjee (BOMBAY TIMES; February 13, 2020)

His films have a lot of heart, and his conversations, too. A chat with Imtiaz Ali could linger around anything from philosophy, poetry, passion to travel, youth, and of course, love across time zones. Yes, much like his movies, the conversation travels places, and finally comes back to what we seek from him — his insights on love. The filmmaker, known for his cinematic love stories, reminds us that he has no guidebook for lovers, and in fact, he says, “The closer you get to the concept of love, the concept walks further away from you.” On the eve of his next release, Love Aaj Kal, he explores some concepts of love, and questions some. Read on...

What prompted you to make another Love Aaj Kal, ten years after you had made the first one, with Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone? Back then, did you ever think that you would revisit it someday?
It had never crossed my mind. In fact, I never thought that I would revisit a concept in my life or make a franchise. The only reason I felt this compulsion was because so much has changed since then. The rules of the game have reversed. Also, when I look at it, it is perhaps the only ‘franchisable’ idea I have ever had. For instance, what more can you say about Geet and Aditya (played by Kareena Kapoor Khan and Shahid Kapoor) from Jab We Met (2007)? You will have to simply cook up some stuff to bring it to the screen again. But for Love Aaj Kal, if you just change the time frame, it becomes a new story, with new characters.

Love Aaj Kal traces two love stories across two generations. Do you interact a lot with today’s youth to get a grip on their views on love and life in the times of dating apps and ‘swipes’?
My daughter (Ida) is my source and connect to this generation. She is like a close friend and we relate to each other on that level really well. Through her feelings, experiences and stories, I am very aligned with a certain point of view, which is now my point of view. Being in this industry, we meet people of different ages, and while hanging out with them, I get a feel of their take on things. I value that and do feel that at this age and having gone through the experiences that I have, I am able to tell a story to this generation.

You might be aligned with their views, but is there anything that strikes you as a contrast to the times when you were in your twenties?
Today, there is a lot of noise in communication around them, but not too many things get communicated. The result is that there are few things that actually touch them. We know that there is this communication boom and they can express their thoughts instantly across the world, but this is not making them reach out and connect with people in the way they would want to. It leaves them hollow. They get so much information, have access to so many devices, but they could still feel blank within. It is the times that they are living in. For them, it is easy to be in a relationship, it is easy to have a string of relationships as well, but what they really hope to get from a relationship is difficult to get. I feel this young generation is lonelier than ever before and they are struggling to get something meaningful. Everything that was precious before, like intimacy, physical intimacy… all of that is now often the first door to enter the relationship. However, they are looking for the same thing that every generation has, when it comes to love. That has not changed, and it won’t ever. In fact, this is what Zoe (Sara’s character) represents in this film. This generation also carries the baggage of the previous generations’ relationships and their problems. Hence, it is not easy for them to disarmingly and effortlessly submit to love.

It’s a general belief that the young generation is confused and too complex, but do you think that they really are? Or, are they more aware of what they want or do not want? Also, are we too quick to judge them and their actions?
This generation is only as confused and messed up as we were. Every generation thinks that it is their divine right to tell the subsequent generation that, ‘In our time, it was better, and you guys are so messed up… you look at things the wrong way.’ I feel that this generation is far less hypocritical than the previous one. They are far more truthful, they represent things as they are, but they want the same things. Also, this generation is always seeking. You would wonder, ‘She is already dating somebody, this is the fifth guy she is dating in the last few years, so, what is she seeking?’ You would also wonder, ‘Why is he lonely, he is on the phone all the time.’ It is because they are constantly seeking.

They also have far more sources to seek — practical and emotional needs — than the previous generation ever had...
Exactly! The young people are used to having different sources for different things. We would go to school, study and read… and that was the only place we would get knowledge. Today, they are getting classroom education online. So, this concept of one person being the only influence, is not something they have seen. Hence, they are seeking on various levels.

There is a dialogue in the film that Sara’s character Zoe says, “Sirf ek insaan ke saath rehna, ussi ke liye woh wali feeling lana, natural thodi hi hain.” Do you think this is a new-age sentiment or is it something that love has seen over generations?
I feel there comes a time when a person starts questioning this whole thing about a man and woman being monogamous, and why should we be the only organism in the world that is monogamous. People start thinking that... these are rules that have been made by society and you have to toe the line. So, you look at another woman and man and constantly feel guilt or shame. This generation is questioning it more, as they reach this point earlier in their life. In Love Aaj Kal, at some point, Sara’s character gets this seed of thought. It is a huge challenge when you want to get into this monogamous love relationship, which she also wants, but it is one thing to have practical reasons to keep you apart from your partner, it is another to have an ideological confusion about it. I think modern-day people and the older generation, too, have thought whether this concept — of having feelings for one man or woman all your life — is even valid. We thought about it, but the younger generation questions it and have the ability to act upon it.

In the past, you have said that you are not the romantic kind and that you have been lost and confused about love. Do you live your life vicariously through your films?
It’s like you get closer to the concept of love, and the concept walks further away from you. As it is evident from my films and not so much from my life, that I have been engaged with this concept a lot. The fact that I don’t know, is the reason I seek. People think because of the movies I make, I have answers. The reason I make those films is because I have more questions about love. Yes, sometimes, what I aspire to be, I show that through my cinema. Everything that I wished had happened and did not happen in my own life, I know it can happen in my films. Like, I could spend time with that girl in the train, which I did not in real life (smiles).

There is a song in the film, ‘ Haan mein galat, galat meri baatein.. galti se hi duniya bani . Poora sahi koi nahin hai, le le meri chetawani.’ The song, written by Irshad Kamil, is high on energy, makes a statement and has a streak of rebellion. Again, is this inspired by your own life, experiences and beliefs?
It’s a track of hope. The world did not come into existence because of some calculation, instead it was some sort of random collision. The idea for the song actually came from a writing by TS Eliot, which goes like this, ‘The awful daring of a moment’s surrender that an age of prudence can never retract. By this and only this, we have existed.’ I was so taken in by these lines. I look back at my life and think of all of the things that I have done, and what I am living now — is like this. Like, you fall in love, you make mistakes, get messed up for it… and all this is what makes your life. Sometimes you got to do what you think is a mistake. You should flow with the heart because it’s not like if you go with your calculations, you will definitely get to a better place. This is the hope that this film gives. It tells you that you can make a passionate mistake. It is fine to do it, and it is what will make you who you are.

Your lead actress Sara Ali Khan told us, ‘Imtiaz does not explain what the character feels, but makes an actor feel what the character feels and then makes you perform.’ A process like this could also get very intense for an actor, right?
I have not worked with any other director, I haven’t been to any film school, and neither have I been on the set of somebody else’s film, ever. The first time I was asked to go on set was when I was directing a fiction series on television, I was about 22 years old then. I’ve spent a lot of time in theatre, even acted for many years on stage. Maybe, I carry the imprint of those directors who I worked with when I was doing theatre. But other than that, I don’t know any other way to work.