The actor isn’t keen to dedicate time to a role unless it’s something extraordinary
Pooja Sharma (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 10, 2019)

Vidya Balan is an actor who defies all Bollywood heroine stereotypes, both on screen and off it. The characters she portrays are always women who dream big and dare to express themselves, whether in films such as Ishqiya (2010), The Dirty Picture (2011), the Kahaani series, Tumhari Sulu (2017) or her latest, Mission Mangal. The 40-year-old actor’s upcoming projects are also along similar lines, for instance Vidya will play the late writer and ‘human computer’ Shakuntala Devi, in her next. Excerpts from a chat:

Does the success of Mission Mangal encourage you to take up newer content?
I am so grateful for its success. I received so much love for it. I knew it would turn out to be a good film. Everyone loved it. They said how my character was reflective of every Indian woman who balances work at home and work outside. Now, my focus is only on Shakuntala.

You’ve mentioned how Shakuntala Devi’s personality was quite fun, and you’re having a ball playing the role. However, would you like to essay the opposite, an out-and-out negative role? Are you an audience for dark cinema?
Absolutely! But, I am not always in the mood to watch the darker stuff. I am okay to watch it in the confines of my home, when you are binge-watching. But when I go to the theatres I like to watch happy stuff. When you are going with a group of people, you want it to be a happy experience. So, unless I was doing it for a platform, I think I’d choose the lighter, brighter stuff over everything else. Having said that, I don’t have set rules. If something really excites me as an actor, I’d go ahead and do it.

The Kahaani series has been one of your biggest hits. Is there any scope to turn it into a bigger franchise?
Sujoy (Ghosh; director) keeps threatening me that he will write Kahaani 3 (laughs), but he hasn’t written it. I am also waiting! Of course, we would love to go ahead with the franchise. It’s crucial that we first find the right story.

You’ve co-produced a short film this year. Any plans of turning full-time film producer?
This was not on the cards at all. Short films have no budget. So, Ronnie Screwvala offered me the producer credit as barter. There was no scope to learn as a producer, and I don’t plan on doing this any further. With due respect, it’s not of interest to me. I am only interested in being an actor. My interests are different; they’re more creative.

Would you want to take up something on the digital platform?
I am commitment phobic. That’s why unless something blows my mind, I can’t commit to so many months (laughs).