Neha Maheshwri (MUMBAI MIRROR; September 30, 2026)

Mini Mathur, who won Alliance, came away from the experience with a reassessed relationship with ageing, vanity and the life choices that shaped her journey. The reality show pushed her to let go of the control and polish that usually accompany a public appearance and embrace a more unfiltered version of herself.

She said, “When you have a camera on you 24/7, you can’t look your best all the time, and I actually embraced that for the first time. I watched a couple of episodes and thought, ‘Sh*t, Mini, you’ve never looked worse.’ It was hard because I was absolutely stripped of everything. But I felt liberated. I learnt a lot about ageing and vanity on the show. Every time I have presented my best version to myself, it has been about how I look. The moment I stripped myself of vanity and everything to do with lines and wrinkles, there I was with the trophy. The real me has value.”

The experience also changed how Mini viewed the choices she made before entering the entertainment industry.

She shared, “I always felt that I entered the industry late because I did my post-graduation and then worked for two years. I felt that somehow all of that was a waste of time and perhaps wasn’t valued enough. But today, I feel proud that every single maths problem I solved and every passion I pursued in life matters. It brought me to tears to realise that all those years I spent thinking, ‘Damn, I should have started 10 years earlier,’ had actually come to something. It’s never too late to learn, apply what you’ve learnt in life and win.”

‘I haven’t come this far in my life in anybody’s shadow’
In a previous interview, soon after winning Alliance, Mini had shared, “I didn’t need this show to revive my career or get millions of followers. I went in because I wanted to challenge myself. I have a 30-year television career behind me, and I didn’t want to do anything that would put what I’ve built over three decades in jeopardy. So, I realized that the only way to play the game was to be my most authentic self because anything else I did would have been called out. I don’t like toxicity, arguments or loud physical displays of aggression, so whenever that happened, I moved away from the situation. But I always put my point across without having to shout anyone down in public. I’m happy that somebody who’s not the reality-show winner stereotype actually won. I’m sure there were other people who were equally deserving, but I fought them tooth and nail, physically and mentally.”

The physical and confrontational nature of the game also brought her face to face with what she sees as a male-centric understanding of power.

She says, “I detest this whole male paradigm that equates power with men, brawn and testosterone-laden bodies. Every time those alliances were formed where a big guy met another big guy and one token girl was included, I thought, ‘I ain’t playing in nobody’s shadow.’ I haven’t come this far in my life in anybody’s shadow. I didn’t come here to play safe. I wanted to be my own power centre and play my own game.”

‘Women are no longer making achars at 50’
Age became another assumption Mini refused to accept. Being told that a woman her age had never reached so far in a reality show only reinforced what she considers an outdated view of women over 50. 

She shared, “This is 2026. Women are no longer making achars at 50. At 54, I’m at my sharpest and physically fittest right now. I want to break this mould that women over 50 are weak, don’t deserve space of their own, have to live in the shadows, be nurturers and givers, and that somehow their best is over. Hopefully, my win is a message that you can have main-character energy at 50 and reinvent yourself at any time. You don’t have to be 30 to compete with 20-year-olds.”