I have given my word to my father to not comment on anything I am not knowledgeable about-Sonu Nigam
4:53 PM
Posted by Fenil Seta

Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; August 12, 2026)
Sonu Nigam has never really been one to shy away from taking a stand. Over the years, the singer has spoken openly about issues ranging from the use of loudspeakers at religious places to royalty rights for performers. So, when a recent video of him refusing to comment on the ongoing student protests over alleged NEET irregularities went viral, his silence was bound to invite questions. During the interaction, Sonu was visibly irritated when reporters continued to ask him about the issue and eventually ended the exchange. Now, explaining his decision, Sonu says it was less about avoiding a difficult question and more about choosing when — and on what — he should speak.
“Firstly, in the last more than three decades of being in Mumbai, I have learnt one basic etiquette for any press conference. Always adhere to the agenda of the occasion and do not let conversation wander to disconnected matters,” he says, adding, “Talking politics when you have come to talk about your tribute to your Guru Pankaj Udhas is disrespectful in my eyes. And I would very politely expect the press and media gathered to maintain the same decorum.”
The singer who recently sang a Haryanvi song, Chunni, continues, "I have also given a word to my father to not comment on just anything which I’m not knowledgeable about. I don’t have social media on my phone. My life is about music and Bhakti. I have taken enough stands throughout my life and have been instrumental in bringing many mammoth changes in the system. From my outcry against loudspeakers on religious places to the right to royalty for performers, I have belled the cat alone bravely. Now let others take up new courageous stands and see what changes they can bring through their steadfastness. Let them become real warriors and not just social media lampoons,” he says.
‘The pain had nothing to do with my vocal chords’
Apart from the controversies, the singer has recently been in the news for his health. Sonu had earlier spoken about experiencing severe pain, with reports describing a pinched nerve, and has since also shared a video from a separate medical procedure involving a recurring growth on his left ring finger.
"I am perfectly fine due to the timely intervention of a wonderful and kind physiotherapist from Delhi called Arvind Kumar. He rid me of the excruciating pain in four days. More than anything else, I was overwhelmed with the outpour of love and concern for me from every quarter.” The singer clarifies that the pain was not related to his voice.
“The pain was in the side of the neck and had nothing to do with vocal chords, thankfully. But of course, your ability to sing comfortably is compromised when you are under such severe agony,” he says.
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment