Today, I can demand the money I deserve-Sai Tamhankar
9:34 AM
Posted by Fenil Seta
Mihir Bhanage (BOMBAY TIMES; July 31, 2026)
Sai Tamhankar has voiced her opinions against pay disparity in the film industry in the past and continues to bat for fair pay on the basis of what an actor brings to the table, not depending on their gender. It’s taken her time to reach a position in which she can put her foot down on the fee she quotes for a project. And now, Sai wants to pave the way for others to do the same. In a chat with us, the Matka King and Tumbbadchi Manjula actress speaks about pay parity, need for unity in the Marathi industry and using her privilege to back projects with potential. Excerpts:
‘Changing things is in your hands’
The demand for pay parity has consistently highlighted the gender divide in the film industry. Male stars are often paid more than their female counterparts. While equal pay is an ongoing debate, Sai feels that one can definitely demand the fee they deserve.
“If you consistently deliver good work, no one can ignore you or the impact you bring in. I’m in a position today where I can demand the money I deserve. I know my worth and people have that assurance that I will give my 100% to a project – from filming to release and beyond,” she says, adding, “It took time to build this reputation but it’s absolutely doable.”
The same authority doesn’t extend to newer actors. Irrespective of how talented they are, there’s always that fear of losing out on work for many.
On that, Sai adds, “I’ve been through that and I understand how it feels. But I genuinely feel that the emphasis should be on the hope that this can happen. Yes, you have to build credibility. At the same time, you know what you’re worth. When I demand my worth today, it opens doors for others to do the same. This needs to be a habit. Makers shouldn’t raise their eyebrows if a deserving artiste quotes a fee that justifies their worth.”
Unity, consistency and seriousness: Sai’s keywords for sustained success in the Marathi industry
Sai is one of the actors who has successfully balanced work on Marathi and Hindi projects. Her recent Marathi films – Bol Bol Rani and Tumbbadchi Manjula – have been buzzing too. Despite many stating a lack of audience for Marathi films in the recent past, the actress has had a contrasting take, something that multiple Marathi films in the last year have proved to be right.
“If your content is damn good, the audience will show up,” she says. True as it may be, what will it take for this recent spate of good films and good response to turn into a sustained streak of even better films and response?
“I think it is commendable that we managed to bring the audience to cinemas. We should celebrate this because we deserve every bit of it. Plus, movies from new filmmakers are being appreciated, which is a very positive sign,” says Sai,” adding, “To sustain this success in the long run, we need unity in the industry and in the ecosystem. If we have that and take the business very seriously, there is no looking back. We shouldn’t lose sight of the bigger picture.”
‘Don’t think I’m mentally made for producer duties’
Sai was one of the executive producers of the acclaimed Marathi film Sabar Bonda. Ask her how important it is to lend one’s name to small or independent projects and she says, “Very!”
Elaborating further, the Agni actress adds, “If I can use my privilege and name to stand behind a deserving project and strong voice in whatever capacity, I am more than happy to do it. It is also a learning process for me.” But would she also turn producer eventually? “I’m not sure about that yet. I don’t think I am mentally prepared for the ‘chal theek hai, ho jayega’ moments that come very often with producer duties,” she shares.
A chick flick with fellow leading ladies? ‘Absolutely yes!
Sai and her contemporaries, including Priya Bapat, Amruta Khanvilkar and Sonalee Kulkarni, have been part of some notable projects in the recent past. While they may have worked in pairs of two in some projects, there hasn’t been a film that has brought all of them together. With a hope to remedy that, we suggest – a chick flick. Sai's response is enthusiastic.
“Yes, absolutely!” she says, adding, “We are all in a space where there’s no internal competition or trying to one up the other. And a chick flick all of us sounds fascinating. A travel film on the lines of Dil Chahta Hai would be perfect.” Producers and directors, hope you’re reading this.
------------------------------------------------
“Between a brilliant script with less money, and an average script with more money, I would choose the former. You should understand where to be stubborn about your fee and where to surrender creatively”
------------------------------------------------
“The fear of being typecasted pushes me to do projects that aren’t similar to one another. The effort is to create a portfolio so diverse that no one comes back to you with the same type of role”
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment