I believe an actor who becomes frustrated burns out very quickly-Rakesh Bedi
4:52 PM
Posted by Fenil Seta
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 20, 2026)
If Dhurandhar has been a disruptor in Indian cinema, Rakesh Bedi has emerged as one of its biggest rediscoveries. Nearly five decades into a career spanning cinema, TV and theatre, the veteran has won widespread acclaim for his portrayal of Jameel Jamali, proving that one role can remind audiences of an actor’s enduring brilliance.
‘Dhurandhar was a result of one scene in Uri’
Citing his role of Khabrilal in Tirangaa (1993) as an example, he says, “No matter the role, big or small, I always worked honestly and to the best of my ability. When Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019) was being made, I received several calls from the production, but I kept refusing because I didn't want to do just one scene. Finally, Aditya Dhar called me. At the time, I barely knew him. He told me, ‘Sir, whenever I reach this page in the script, I can only think of you for this part. Now you tell me, will you do it or not?’ I was overjoyed. Since then, Aditya and I have shared great mutual respect.”
‘The maine sabki chhutti kar dee mindset is a dangerous zone’
At the sequel’s screening, Arjun Rampal told him, “Aap sabko khaa gaye.” Bedi smiles at the memory but is careful not to let the compliment go to his head. He says, “That was his way of appreciating my performance. Everyone has done justice to their role. So did I. It's just that my part took a bigger slice of the pie.”
The veteran is equally mindful of not allowing success to inflate his ego. Clarifying a recent remark about finally feeling like a star, he says, “I don’t have the feeling that I am a star. I said it in reference to the love I have received after Dhurandhar. If that’s what people call stardom, so be it. I never assume that maine sabki chhutti kar dee. That mindset can be dangerous. It can get into your head, and luck or fortune can humble you overnight. Main uss zone mein nahi jaata ki main bahut phail jaaun.”
‘I believe an actor who becomes frustrated burns out very quickly’
Jameel Jamali has revealed a side of Bedi that even many within the industry hadn’t seen before. Yet, he has never measured his career by the opportunities he missed.
He says, “One thing about me is that I have never been frustrated. I believe an actor who becomes frustrated burns out very quickly. If I keep dwelling on what I didn’t get, it will only breed anger, and sooner or later, that will reflect in my work and behaviour towards colleagues ki tum nahi jaante main kya hoon. Arre bhai, nahi jaante tum kya ho, lekin tumko jo kaam diya hai, usko toh theek se karo. I never want to get into that space.”
‘Amjad Khan didn’t become an overnight star with Sholay’
If there’s one thing Bedi wants younger actors to remember, it is to let the work speak louder than the trappings of stardom. He says, “Aap jo bhi kaam kar rahe hain, usko achha kijiye. Uska kahin na kahin aage jaa kar asar padta hi hai. A lot of newcomers focus more on the frills than on the work, like meri vanity, mere dry fruits, and everything that comes with stardom.”
Drawing from Bollywood history, he adds, “We often think Amjad Khan became an overnight star after Sholay (1975). He didn’t. Before that, he had done around 10 films, playing small parts, sometimes just a scene or two. But whatever he did, he did well. The same is true of Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Pankaj Tripathi. I’m not saying you should accept completely inconsequential roles with a single dialogue like, ‘Yeh aapka letter aaya hai,’ or ‘Maine injection laga diya hai. Baaki Bhagwan par bharosa rakhiye.’ Luck plays a huge role, but it isn’t in your control. What is in your hands is doing every role with honesty, dedication and complete focus.”
‘I have to choose my roles diligently and carefully’
Finding a director who can look beyond an actor’s established image, Bedi believes, can be career-defining.
He says, “Ye iss industry ki vidambana hai that once you’ve played a certain kind of role, people tend to see you only through that lens. They either can’t or don’t imagine you differently. They often cast whoever is available and fits the budget. Very few filmmakers are willing to wait for an actor rather than compromise on their vision. That kind of faith gives an actor tremendous confidence. It’s always a two-way street.”
He concludes, “After Dhurandhar, people have expectations from Rakesh Bedi. So, I have to choose my roles more diligently and carefully. Whatever I achieved in Dhurandhar, I owe equally to Aditya Dhar. He wrote a wonderful part, and I’m grateful he entrusted me with it.”
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment