Sunny side up!

Akash Wadhwa (BOMBAY TIMES; October 2, 2024)

Sunny Kaushal, of Shiddat and Phir Aayi Hasseen Dillruba fame, may have made his debut visit to Lucknow recently, but the actor said that he is in love with the language in the state. Having shot for two projects in Agra and another in Prayagraj, Sunny shared how his interaction with the locals helped him learn his now favourite word ‘hum’. Excerpts…

How does it feel to be in Lucknow?
I have not been to Lucknow earlier though I have been to Prayagraj and Agra in the past. The only thing I know about the city is ki muskuraiye ki aap Lucknow mein hain. And being a complete foodie, I love kebabs, and I tried Tundey kababs, which were really yummy.

And what about Agra and Prayagraj?
I shot for my film Hurdang in Agra and Prayagraj and then Phir Aayi Hasseen Dillruba in Agra. Experience of shooting in Prayagraj was fantastic. I used go for long walks in the city and chit-chat with the chai waala and uncles at the tapri to prep for the role. I used to do that often since I was playing a localite in the film and mujhe woh apni zubaan mein lehja leke aana tha. Since I am a Punjabi from Mumbai, I had no idea about the dialect of UP. The use of ‘hum’ is a lot in this part of the country. For us it is a collective noun but for people here it is singular. I am a very ‘tu’ and ‘main’ kind of a guy so for me the usage of ‘hum’ in daily life was a very meetha experience.

And talking about Agra, I love that city. The strangest part is that despite people coming from different parts of the world to see the Taj Mahal, I couldn’t visit the monument. The more I am shooting in India, I am realizing that I have so many places here to explore. It is very weird that whenever we go on trips, we travel abroad, when we should be seeing more of our country.

How has your journey been in the entertainment industry so far?
The journey has been fantastic. Hiccups have been a part and parcel of the journey, uske bina mazaa bhi nahi aayega. Mediocrity is still a bit easy but if you want to reach somewhere and if you have set a goal for yourself then things are not going to be always smooth. Right now, my goal is to entertain as many people as I can. I want to do some great stories and be a part of some great narratives and touch upon some good characters. It is not as if I don’t do many projects, I have a lot in the pipeline. Plus, pandemic has changed a lot of things. I didn’t shoot for any projects for a long time and now, I have been shooting back-to-back and the releases too are back-to-back.

Has the pandemic brought changes in the viewing patterns of the people?
It has and it is there to see for everyone. We have become comfortable watching things at home on our mobile devices. Forget about others, even I have become comfortable in such viewing. Even I wait for movies to release on OTT to watch. People might say that average stories do not sell any more, but I feel it is about how you tell a story that sells. Like a love story with a conflict will always be an iteration of Romeo and Juliet. But it is how you tell it that makes a difference. One thing I am sure is not going to change in India is the love for cinema. Despite the present craze for OTT, Indian’s love for silver screen will never change. Also, there will come a time when theatre and OTT will coexist nicely together. I don’t want that saturation of OTT should ever come, meri toh rozi roti ka sawal hai. (laughs)

Most of your projects are for the OTT. So, do you not miss seeing yourself on the silver screen with a houseful audi?
What I look at is just the fact that I am getting an opportunity to work and be here. I am grateful for all the work I am getting, and I do not want to look at what I am missing in life.

Talking about the content on OTT, it has been under constant scanner – sometimes for its bold content sometimes for abusive language. Have you, as an actor drawn any line for yourself?
I feel that the maker always writes the content, whether abusive or bold, according to the need of story and it is really difficult for an actor to make a judgement whether it is needed or not. I have not done anything so far in which I had to use cuss words. Chor Nikal Ke Bhaga had just one or two such words that too in English. Having said that I haven’t drawn any boundary for myself for the kind of content I will do.

Both you and your brother Vicky Kaushal are doing great career wise and have very different trajectories when it comes to your acting projects, yet people compare the two of you. How does that make you feel?
As individuals, we both are two completely different individuals despite coming from the same blood line. Our craft is completely different and the way we perceive a character and bring it to life on screen is also very different. The comparison has always baffled me as to why do people keep comparing me to my sibling. Why do people always compare me to my brother and not other actors?