Actors we miss | Kunal Kapoor: Revisiting actor’s journey from Rang De Basanti to Dear Zindagi

M Priyanka Goud (HYDERABAD TIMES; September 27, 2024)

Kunal Kapoor, who began his Bollywood journey as a lead actor nearly two decades ago, is now making a mark in the south film industries, particularly in antagonist roles. Following his performances in Veeram (Malayalam) and Devadas (Telugu), Kunal shared that he feels more satisfied in his career, especially when portraying negative characters.

In an exclusive interview with Hyderabad Times, he spoke about his upcoming Telugu film Vishwambhara, where he stars alongside Chiranjeevi. “Playing an antagonist is more exciting than the protagonist. There are no rules to follow. For a long time, I was stuck in certain roles, but it’s incredible how south filmmakers are seeing me in a whole new way now,” he said.

‘BACK IN THE DAY, I HAD VIDEOTAPES OF CHIRANJEEVI’S AAJ KA GOONDARAJ & PRATIBANDH’
Working with Chiranjeevi sir has been an absolute pleasure — he’s among the kindest and most supportive co-stars. He’s truly a legend, both on and off the screen. I’ve always been a huge fan of Chiranjeevi garu. Back in the day, I had a vast collection of videotapes, and Aaj Ka Goondaraj (Gang Leader in Telugu) along with his Hindi debut Pratibandh were part of it. The last film of his that stood out to me was Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy. Though he’s a Megastar on screen, he’s incredibly down to earth in real life. I remember during an action scene, I felt a slight twinge in my shoulder, and the first thing he asked was, ‘Is your shoulder okay?’ It’s rare to meet someone of his stature who is so thoughtful and concerned about everyone on set.

‘AUDIENCES SEEM TO PREFER ANTI-HEROES OVER TRADITIONAL ONES’
When I started, the roles I was offered were all very similar. Back then, a hero was expected to fit a certain mould, but now even the idea of a hero has changed. Audiences seem to prefer anti-heroes over traditional ones, and I feel fortunate to explore these grey-shaded characters, especially in south films. In the Malayalam film Veeram, I was given a role that no one in Hindi cinema was offering me end of the year.at the time. Director Jairaj saw something in me that the Hindi film industry didn’t, and I’m enjoying this new phase as an actor.

‘IT’S AMAZING TO SEE PEOPLE APPRECIATING FILMS BEYOND THEIR LANGUAGE’
This is an incredible time for actors and technicians, with collaborations across industries becoming more common. South films like Baahubali, RRR, and Kalki 2898 AD have broken language barriers and are being watched nationwide. As an actor, it’s exciting to explore diverse roles in different regions. The content today is outstanding — like the Tamil film Maharaja, which became the most-watched film, largely thanks to OTT platforms making it accessible to wider audiences. It’s amazing to see people appreciating films beyond their language. Everywhere I’ve been, from Bombay to Hyderabad, people have been praising Vijay Sethupathi sir’s performance in that film.

‘I have an exciting lineup of films ahead’
I’m working on Jewel Thief with Saif Ali Khan and Jaideep Ahlawat, followed by a mythological project, Ramayana, alongside Ranbir Kapoor and Sai Pallavi, with shooting starting soon. I’ve also ventured into writing and recently completed a script for an action-packed vigilante series, which is set to begin production by the end of the year.