I have a family connection with the Olympics: Shaan

Akash Bhatnagar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 24, 2024)

Paris 2024 Olympics will commence on July 26 and singer Shaan will give a soulful start to it with a performance at the first-ever India House in Paris, France. “It’s a matter of honour and privilege for me to be there at the inauguration of the India House to perform for the Indian contingent and encourage all Indians cheering for the Indian athletes,” he exclaims.

Shaan reveals that he has a special connection with the Olympics. “My first cousins Rahul Banerjee and Dola Banerjee, who have represented India at the highest level in archery, will be there as coaches this time. So, I have a family connection with the Olympics,” he says, adding that sports and music go hand-in-hand: “A lot of my friends in sports tell me that music plays a huge role in getting them in the zone and helping them relax.”

India House at the Olympics has been conceptualized by businessperson Nita Ambani’s Reliance Foundation, and Shaan will deliver a 90-minute performance on day one.

“There’s a song that I recorded for Chandu Champion, but it wasn’t used in the film. I will be performing that for the first time, dedicating it to the Indian athletes. We will also perform a medley of songs related to sports and patriotism. Besides that, I will also sing songs such as Deewangi Deewangi (Om Shanti Om; 2007), Dus Bahane (Dus; 2005) and Koi Kahe Kehta Rahe (Dil Chahta Hai; 2001), among others.”

This is Shaan’s first time at the Olympics and he’s excited to be there. “For the first time, I will see some of the Olympic events live,” he ends.