The best song of this film was also the toughest of my career
HINDUSTAN TIMES (February 26, 2024)

For Kavita Krishnamurti, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999) will always be a turning point in her career. The singer, who lent her voice to as many as six songs in the Sanjay Leela Bhansali film, feels grateful to have been associated with a project that helped her show her versatility as an artiste.

As the timeless album clocks 25 years, she recalls, “When I heard the tracks in the rehearsal room, they were so beautiful. I was also happy to work with Ismail Darbar (composer).”

While the entire album is special to her, there’s one song that Krishnamurti holds especially close to her heart — the title track. “It’s such a powerful song; the best in the movie but also the most challenging one of my life,” the 65-year-old shares. She adds, “There are so many notes in that song. I was extremely worried [if I’d be able to do it] as I was suffering from problems with my nose.”

Yet, things worked out beautifully and the song ended up being one of her best works. “Some days, things just work out. The song got okayed quickly and I didn’t face a lot of problems. I think God was holding my hand that day,” she fondly remembers.

Speaking of the first song she recorded for the film, Krishnamurty reveals, “It was Aankhon Ki Gustakhiyan. But, none of us were happy with it. After a few days, I redid my portions. Then, it had come out well.”

Perhaps one of the most popular tracks from the film, Nimbooda is also one of her personal favourites. “It was such an item song. In my heart, I just felt this song is going to do well for me commercially. And it did,” Krishnamurti tells us, while lauding actor Aishwarya Rai Bachchan for bringing the song alive on screen.

In fact, the singer gives a huge part of the credit of the album’s success to Bhansali’s vision. “He is the king of visuals. God has given him special aesthetics. So, HDDCS is a marvellous sangam of composition, sound and picturization,” she wraps up.

The best song of this film was also the toughest of my career