I made so many mistakes: Aamir on Laal Singh Chaddha failure

HINDUSTAN TIMES (February 26, 2024)

Opening up about the failure of his 2022 film, Laal Singh Chaddha, that made him take a step back from acting, Aamir Khan says he was “emotionally hurt” that “a film close to my heart” did not work out at the box office. A remake of actor Tom Hanks’ 1994 feature, Forrest Gump, the film was directed by Advait Chandan and starred Kareena Kapoor Khan, Naga Chaitanya and Mona J Singh.

Looking at the funny side of things. Khan said, “Two things happened; after a long time my film didn’t work, so family and friends would come home to ask me, ‘If I’m okay?’ I realised that I’m getting a lot of love after a flop. That was the funny side of it.”

The 58-year-old also shared what he learnt from this experience. He said, “The real side is, failure teaches you what really has gone wrong. It gives you an opportunity to understand what was your mistake in terms of communicating that story.”

Speaking at the ABP Ideas of Summit 3.0 recently, the actor added, “I gave it a lot of thought; it was a big learning for me. I remember telling Kiran (Rao, ex-wife, filmmaker), once, ‘I made so many mistakes in this film on so many levels. Thank god I made these mistakes in just one film.’ Emotionally, I’m hurt that the film has not worked. I’ve taken time to absorb the grief.”