Neena Gupta turns heads at 'Uunchai' screening in a monochrome saree designed by Masaba

At the recent Prithvi Festival, Neena Gupta candidly spoke about her National School of Drama (NSD) days, her early experiences in Mumbai and the turning point in her career
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; November 20, 2023)

Neena Gupta began her journey in the world of entertainment at Prithvi Theatre. During a Stage Talk session held at the Prithvi Festival, which concluded recently, she reminisced, “We (the NSD gang) would often hang around here hoping producers and directors watching the plays might spot us and offer work. During that time, I met Prahlad Kakar (ad guru), who used to manage the café here. He offered me some work in his ad films and let me work in the café. This is where I learnt to make Irish Coffee, one of the most popular items on the menu. On one occasion, I prepared baingan ka bharta in the kitchen and Prahlad enjoyed it so much that he requested me to make it daily and in return, I received complimentary dinners.”

Sharing that her parents opposed her joining films, Neena said, “My mother looked down upon Hindi films and preferred only English cinema. However, once I saw myself on the big screen in ‘Aadharshila’ (1982), I thought, ‘Mujhe yahi karna hai.’ Ussi samay main tabaah ho gayi (smiles).”

‘In college, I was mostly cast in male roles’
Originally, she planned to stick to theatre. She recalled, “In college, I was mostly cast in male roles and as male house helps in plays because I was taller than the other girls. I was too shy to ask the director for the main part. I would rehearse the lines of the heroine at home and felt that I performed better than the heroines. My first ever significant act in a play was ‘Aadhe Adhoore’.”

‘Facing a live audience is an incredibly exhilarating experience’
Talking about her experience on stage, she said, “Theatre is truly magical, and there’s no comparison. As an actor, when you are on stage, nobody can touch your performance. In films, they have the power to touch your work, edit scenes, or even remove your part entirely. However, when I am on stage, I am the king. Facing a live audience is an incredibly exhilarating experience. I used to be extremely nervous during my initial shows at Prithvi because it felt like the audience is right on your lap, but that’s the ultimate test of an actor.”

‘Director Amit Sharma brought out the best in me during ‘Badhaai Ho’
It wasn’t always smooth sailing for her. At one point she found herself being typecast as the comic relief side-character. After ‘Saath Saath’ (1982) became a hit, in which she played a small part of a naïve girl, she recalled Girish Karnad telling her, “You’re finished, and you will never get a heroine’s part again.”

She said, “Unfortunately, that’s exactly what transpired, and all I got offered for the next two years were similar roles.” The turning point in her career was ‘Badhaai Ho’ (2018). All praise for director Amit Sharma, she said, “I loved the script, but the thought of wearing a stomach pad throughout the film and not looking glamorous did not sit well with me at first. But Amit Sharma brought out the best in me. He made me give 20-25 takes even for a simple line like ‘Jaldi Chalo’. Ek toh confidence shake hota hai. Amit would enact the scene so brilliantly ki abhi tak ek line hai jo main uske jaise nahi kar paati hoon and I am reminded of it every month. Similarly, I still can’t do what Naseer (Naseeruddin Shah) does. The reason for it is we are not focused and relaxed.”

‘I wish I were younger, as there are more such opportunities now’
Talking about how the changing landscape of cinema has enabled actresses to explore and experiment with characters, Neena shared, “I wish I were younger, as there are far more opportunities now for the new era of actors. I aspire to do comedy and romance. I want to write a romantic story for myself. I want to do a full-blown action film. In fact, I am eager to take on an action film offered to me where I have a double role, but I have yet to hear back from them.”

‘I remember feeling liberated the first time I declined a project’
However, she also agrees that today she is content with her current filmography. “Today, I can afford to turn down projects. In the past, I had to say yes to everything. I remember feeling liberated the first time I declined a project (laughs!). Today, If I have to think twice about taking on a role, I won’t take it up. It’s as simple as that,” she signed off.