Nargis didn’t know ‘dorky’ Ranbir or ‘strange’ Imtiaz before Rockstar

HINDUSTAN TIMES (July 29, 2023)

Nargis Fakhri shot to fame with her performance in the Imtiaz Ali directorial Rockstar (2011). However, the actor revealed recently that she “hadn’t heard of” neither Ali nor the lead, Ranbir Kapoor, before starting the shoot.

In an interview with Mashable Middle East, Fakhri recalled how she came to be cast in the movie. She was spotted by the director in a jewellery campaign that was on billboards in India without her knowledge. She was contacted by a member of Ali’s team, who insisted that she meet the director on his trip to Prague.

“I was like, ‘Oh, what the hell, let me go meet this person. If he’s weird I’ll kick him in the b**ls and run’,” she said, adding, “[I go and see] this strange man with big curly hair… Good person, very nice, felt safe [and] told me the most beautiful story I’ve ever heard in my life. He said, ‘If you come to India, we can teach you the language’. I said ‘I don’t know’, because that’s a huge thing to do. After a couple of weeks, they asked again, and I said  I’ll just go and try.” shares the Pakistani-Czech former model.

Recalling her experience with “dorky guy” Kapoor, Fakhri said, “Working with Ranbir was a blessing, in hindsight. I didn’t know who he was. But he’s very cool, and it was so much fun. I wasn’t nervous, because I didn’t know who they (many of the cast members) were, and when you don’t know, you don’t even care.”