‘I can’t believe it’s been a year since KK left us’
On KK’s first death anniversary, Shaan gets emotional recounting his bond with the late singer
Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; May 31, 2023)

A year ago, on this date, singer KK (Krishnakumar Kunnath), 53, died of a heart attack soon after a live performance in Kolkata. His friends, fans and members of the music industry were shocked and devastated by the singer’s sudden demise.

Remembering him on his death anniversary, Shaan, who was among KK’s close friends, said, “It’s been a year. I know time will move on, but KK will continue to mesmerize everyone. I always feel the soulfulness and connection in his renditions...even more now when he is not with us. I feel he’s telling us that he is here with us and in our hearts forever.”

Over the years, Shaan and KK have sung many hit songs together and also performed to packed auditoriums.

An emotional Shaan said, “When I sing our duets on stage now, I get very emotional. We had so many superhit songs like, It’s The Time To Disco, Koi Kahe Kehta Rahe, Dus Bahane Karke Le Gaye Dil and O Humdum Suniyo Re. I had never imagined that I would one day sing Yaaron Dosti as a tribute to KK.”

He added, “Today, I can picture his cherubic smile, easy unassuming demeanour and voice brimming with life. God bless Jyoti, Nakul and Tamara (KK’s wife, son and daughter). KK defined the term family man better than anyone I know.”
--------------------------------------
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 31, 2023)

Today (May 31) marks the first death anniversary of one of the most popular singers in India — Krishnakumar Kunnath aka KK. The Pal and Yaaron hitmaker suffered a heart attack last year during a concert in Kolkata (West Bengal).

In a chat with us, his close friend, singer Shaan, says, “KK and I were like family. When I heard the news about his death, I was in disbelief. I thought it was a prank. But I was shattered when I learnt it was true. He wouldn’t smoke or drink and struck a work-life balance. I can’t believe it’s been a year since he left us.”

Shaan and KK recorded over 25 songs together. Recalling those days, the 50-year-old adds, “We had our best time in the studio and during our live shows. KK was very disciplined and was always on time. We did some great songs together. In fact, some of them went on to become anthem hits such as Koi Kahe Kehta Rahe (Dil Chahta Hai; 2001), It’s The Time To Disco (Kal Ho Naa Ho; 2003) and Dus Bahaane (Dus; 2005).”

Unlike many others in the industry who like to give a glimpse of their lives on social media, KK was guarded about his personal life. “He wasn’t on WhatsApp or social media. He didn’t attend parties, as he felt parties mein koi serious conversations nahin hoti. He preferred meeting people one-on-one and having engaging chats,” says Shaan.

Ask if his sudden death acted as an eye-opener for him, and the Tanha Dil singer says, “My family insisted I get an MRI done. Thankfully, it was all fine. But KK’s death made me realise that life is so unpredictable. It’s important to live in the present.”