shonali nagrani

The actress talks about her separation from her husband and the separation from her husband and the difficult phase she went through difficult phase she went through after her marriage went kaput
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; April 25, 2023)

The last few years have been challenging for Shonali Nagrani. She struggled to bounce back after her marriage with Shiraz Bhattacharya, a photographer and cinematographer, hit choppy waters. They tied the knot in February 2013 and went their separate ways in early 2019 owing to irrevocable differences. However, instead of surrendering to her fate, Shonali has managed to pick up the pieces of her life and bounce back. In an exclusive chat, the actress says, “My husband and I parted ways in February 2019 and the divorce proceedings are going on.”

Shonali says, “I was emotionally destroyed at one point, and didn’t have the energy to invest in work, family or myself. I hated myself and my self-esteem hit rock bottom. I didn’t realize when I bid adieu to the old Shonali, who loved to giggle and laugh. But soon, I felt I had a choice to feel like a victim and stay bitter or to focus on picking up the pieces. I chose to heal and turn my adversity into a blessing. I used it as a stepping stone towards personal growth and self-discovery.”

Shonali, who has hosted several shows including an Indian cricket league, says, “After getting married, I didn’t work for five years, which made it difficult for me to restart my career. Like many of us, I tried to give the impression of being busy on social media, but the truth was that I hadn’t worked. At one point, I was so shattered that I considered leaving Mumbai and showbiz to move to Goa.”

But destiny had a better plan and just around that time, she got a call from a casting company and soon bagged a role in the web show Tandav. “It felt like a miraculous turn of events,” says Shonali, adding, “I didn’t even have to audition for the role and before I knew it, I was sitting in the producer’s office signing the agreement. That project truly saved me from giving up on the industry and the city.”

However, soon after she got her first project after a long break, Coronavirus struck, and work slowed down again. She says, “It forced me to put my plans on hold, as everyone was confined to their homes. However, this unexpected break turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it compelled me to confront and work through my past traumas and self-doubt. I isolated myself and refused to face the world until I had healed. Meditation, yoga and a nutritious diet proved to be immensely helpful.”

Shonali is currently shooting for the second season of the web series Sunflower. She says, “I must admit that our industry is beautiful and it just keeps giving you work. All youhave to do is be positive.”

The actress admits that the renewed perspective on life has also changed her approach towards her craft. She says, “Most actors doubt themselves while approaching a scene. That second-guessing has left my system, because I think I have got rid of the fears, doubts, and self-hate. The tough period also taught me not to take life and myself so seriously. You should be able to laugh at yourself and laugh in the face of adversity. From that perspective, my marriage was my biggest teacher.”

On the personal front, does she miss having a companion? “I have been single for the past four years and I am loving every bit of it. Of course, I do (miss having a companion), but it’s momentary. It passes like everything else. I probably have developed trust issues, but I am yet to put them to the test,” she signs off.