guneet  monga:  our film  paved the way  for change
Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; March 17, 2023)

The Elephant Whisperers, a Tamil language documentary short, directed by docu filmmaker Kartiki Gonsalves and produced by Guneet Monga, created history at the 95th Oscars by becoming the first Indian film produced by an Indian production to win an Academy Award in the Best Documentary Short Film category. The heartwarming documentary follows an ageing couple Bomman and Bellie — in South India, who foster orphaned elephants. The film shows how they co-exist with nature and share their space and home with lost elephants, who they raise as their own children.

Overwhelmed with joy, and now back in India, Guneet Monga exclusively spoke to Bombay Times after the massive victory. Excerpts...

We are sure you are over the moon. What did it feel like to stand on stage at the Oscars and receive the award for The Elephant Whisperers?
It will take time for all this to sink in. It feels like a beginning of a new chapter for Indian cinema. This is the first Oscar for an Indian production. My team and I are thrilled to have represented India on a global stage. We are grateful for all the love that this story of indigenous people, an orphan baby elephant Raghu and the caretakers Bommon and Bellie, have received. This documentary touched the hearts of audiences worldwide. It’s a huge honour for us and I dedicate this award to our beautifully diverse country, India. I am glad to be able to serve this vision of bringing women filmmakers to the forefront while winning nothing short of an Oscar.

The live performance on the song Naatu Naatu from RRR, which won the Oscar for Best Original Song, was electrifying. What was it like to witness that as an audience?
It was majestic to witness the live performance of Naatu Naatu and watch the song win an Oscar for India. I was almost dancing in my chair and I’m proud that we could share this moment and global stage with S S Rajamouli sir, M M Keeravani, Chandrabose, Ram Charan and Jr NTR. I’d also like to mention that I’m proud of Shaunak Sen’s All That Breathes. The film may not have won, but Shaunak is one of the most promising filmmakers to look out for from India. All three nominations made 2023 a glorious year for India at the Oscars.

Any star-struck moments or speeches that inspired you the most?
I am in awe of Michelle Yeoh’s speech (who won the Best Actress award), especially when she said, “Ladies, don’t let anybody tell you that you are past your prime.” I think she spoke for every woman in the world.

GUNEET ON HER SPEECH AT THE OSCARS BEING CUT OFF
I was very disheartened about my speech being cut off. There was shock on my face. I just wanted to say it’s India’s first Oscar in Indian production, which is such a huge thing. My heart started racing as I couldn’t reach so far and not be heard. Western media is pulling up the Academy that I did not get to speak. There are also tweets and videos online expressing disappointment over it. This was India’s moment taken away from me. But then, I thought it’s okay, I will come back here and I will make sure I am heard. I have got multiple opportunities to share my thoughts and it’s heartening to receive all the love.
---------------------------------------
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 17, 2023)

History was made at the 95th Academy Awards when The Elephant Whisperers (2022) produced by Guneet Monga and directed by Kartiki Gonsalves, won the Best Documentary Short Film statuette. The 41-minute documentary narrates the tale of an orphaned elephant calf, Raghu, put in the care of mahouts, Bomman and Bellie. The Oscar win brought focus to the care of elephants and made the world stand up and take notice of Indian stories, including her film, which has paved the way for change, says Monga. 

Elaborating on how the victory created a positive impact for the welfare of elephants in Tamil Nadu, says, “We witnessed the power of storytelling after the win. The state government announced Rs. 1 lakh from the CM Relief Fund for each of the 91 elephant caretakers in the two camps of the state, as a token of appreciation. It also allocated Rs. 9.1 crores to build homes for mahouts and Rs. 5 crores has been allotted to develop an elephant camp in the Anamalai Tiger Reserve. CM MK Stalin has also felicitated Bommon and Bellie.” Happy with the difference she has managed to make, Monga adds, “We will continue to tell stories that matter and stories that make a difference.” 

What makes this award more special for Monga is the fact that “two women won it”. She shares, “I’m so proud and honoured that Kartiki (who debuted with the film) and I were the only two women representing India at the Oscars this year and won the first award for an Indian production. This is historic and a message for my fellow women.” 

Sharing the joy of witnessing fellow artistes make India proud on the Oscars stage, Monga tells us, “It was majestic to witness the live performance of Naatu Naatu (RRR, 2022) and win an Oscar. I’m so proud that we could share this moment with S S Rajamouli sir, MM Keeravani, Chandrabose, Ram Charan and Jr NTR.”

Acknowledging Shaunak Sen, Monga adds, “I’m so proud of All That Breathes (2022). The film may not have won, but Shaunak is one of the most promising filmmakers from India to look out for. All three nominations made 2023 a glorious year for India at the Oscars.”