‘EVERYOND WANTED ME TO WRITE SONGS LIKE JAADU HAI NASHA HAI’
Lyricist Neelesh Misra on working on the songs of Jism and why they live on
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 17, 2023)

He forayed into Bollywood as a lyricist in 2003 with Jism. And as the film turns 20 today, Neelesh Misra takes us through the experience of working on the Bipasha Basu and John Abraham-starrer. “Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai was my first song as a lyric writer and it became such a benchmark that everyone wanted me to write songs on similar lines. Since it released at a time when we had just entered the new millennium, it started a new trend of songwriting. Though it was edgy and sensuous, it was beautifully romantic. There was nothing vulgar or obscene about it,” says Misra, as he goes on to explain how it wasn’t easy for him to start out as a lyricist, given the way songs were made back then.

He adds, “It was during my first music sitting in Mumbai when I found out that the tune of a song was created first and the lyricist had to fit the words into it. When I sat down to write Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai, I just couldn’t do it. This was the first time in my life when I failed at something on day one. I felt awful as I couldn’t meet the expectations that Bhatt sahab (filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt; story and screenplay writer of Jism) and Pooja (Bhatt; producer) had on me.”

Interestingly, the song worked out in an unexpected manner and he credits composer M M Kreem for making him feel comfortable: “I was in a cab and suddenly some words crossed my mind. I wrote Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai on the rear side of a food bill and when I shared the lines with Bhatt sahab, he was ecstatic.”

Misra also penned the song Chalo Tumko Lekar Chalein. “I wrote the lyrics of the song in a classic ghazal metre. I feel the way Mr Kreem captured the silence in the song was beautiful,” says the lyricist.

Since Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai had sensuous visuals, it was received well at Misra’s home: “I was very excited about the promo of the song, as it was my first Bollywood track. I come from a middle-class family and I still remember my father said, ‘I will listen to the songs you write, but won’t see them’,” he quips.

‘EVERYOND WANTED ME TO WRITE SONGS LIKE JAADU HAI NASHA HAI’