With 12-hour working days, Amitabh Bachchan gets to meet Aaradhya only on Sundays

Eight decades of Amitabh Bachchan! In retro mode, filmmakers talk to us, revisiting their journey with the superstar and what makes the association so special on his 80th birthday
Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; October 11, 2022)

For as long as one can remember, Amitabh Bachchan has adorned the big and small screens around us. Whether he’s the angry young man, the revenge-seeking common man, the disciplinarian father, the army officer, the lovable father who is as vocal about his motions as his emotions, or the cool and affable TV show host — there’s no role that the actor hasn’t played with utmost ease and relatability. One might fall short of words to describe the phenomenon that is Amitabh Bachchan, but he never falls short of impressing his audience with one solid act after another.

On his 80th birthday, filmmakers from different time zones in his life talk about what truly makes him the BIG B!

Amitabh beats all descriptions and measures of success: Ramesh Sippy
My introduction to Amitabh Bachchan was his performance in N C Sippy and Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Anand. One immediately noticed him, despite the towering presence of the nation’s then heartthrob, Rajesh Khanna. There was something so honest about him that he drew your attention, effortlessly. You couldn’t miss that he was a natural at what he did. Then, I saw Mehmood’s Bombay To Goa where he was the complete opposite of his character in Anand. When Salim-Javed suggested his name for Jay in Sholay, my attention was immediately drawn to the memory of these two films and his roles in them. 

He was almost the last one to be cast in Sholay. I didn’t want a big star; I had plenty already and handling so many people is a task, but when I heard Javed Akhtar talking about his work in Zanjeer, I decided to cast him. The industry had almost cast him out at that time; as he had a few failures behind him. But I think I was lucky to have nabbed him at the right time.

Sholay started our association. His role in Sholay was also not one that needed overplay. It was boisterous in parts. Of course, after his huge success, he became a one-man show who could do anything and everything so well. It became more and more difficult to capture him in something less. Zanjeer, Deewaar and Sholay just ensured there was no looking back for him. And his legendary run was not something anyone could have pre-empted; no one had thought, and no one could have
guessed he will rule this industry for 50 years. I am no exception to that.

Amitabh continued to grow. How tall can a man grow? Amitabh beats all descriptions and measures of success. The credit for that goes entirely to him. I was fortunate to have been on the National Awards jury twice, in 2010-11 and 2016. His performance in Paa was so incredible and totally different from what one expects of him. I had to give it to him. It was outstanding and rare. He won another one for Piku where his role as Bhashkor Bannerjee was so brilliant. Of course, the directors in both cases are fantastic, too. So, over years, you may keep feeling what’s left for him to do, and there is always going to be something more. There is no end to Amitabh Bachchan. He is forever!

Abhishek Bachchan to produce R Balki's next starring Amitabh Bachchan

I love the mystique and enigma that Amitabh Bachchan is, and I don’t want that shattered: R Balki
I thought of a film for Amit ji when I made Cheeni Kum. I cast the story for him. It was the other way around. It wasn’t an older man falling in love with a younger woman. It was a story that wouldn’t work without Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu. He’s not an old man; he’s Amitabh Bachchan.

He comes packaged with his trademark sarcasm, wit and poker-faced rudeness — that’s just a perfect blend. My equation with Mr Bachchan has been exactly the same from day one till now. Even today, if I have an idea, I message him and if he likes it, I write it out for him. I love the mystique and enigma that he is, and I don’t want that shattered. I don’t want to analyze it. Being nervous around him just breaks that enigma. So, I have never been nervous in front of him and he, too, has made me so comfortable. He is an aspiration for everyone, and my relationship with him is that of a huge fan and a person who is aware of what I like about him.

It’s surreal that I have worked with him. I remember when we were making Paa, we both were convinced about the film. Abhishek and Vidya needed convincing. Even when Mr Bachchan says the deepest of things, he has still eyes and a still face which is the power of a great actor. People don’t often understand that when you act, you don’t have to make it loud and evident. Mr Bachchan doesn’t, and that’s his superpower!

His values are will remain so. They are in his DNA: Nitesh Tiwari
Over the years, I’ve worked with Mr Bachchan at different levels. The first time I had a chance to watch him up close was when I gate-crashed his ad shoot (made by my then company). I wasn’t part of the process then, but I have been such a fan since childhood that I couldn’t resist being on that set and silently observing him. I came home so happy that day. Then came the Kaun Banega Crorepati campaign where I interacted with him one-on-one. I usually don’t get nervous, but I was meeting my childhood hero and working with him was something else.

Over the years, I worked with him very closely and got to know him more closely. In my movie Bhoothnath Returns, he was the central character. Today, I can say that our relationship is a bit more than professional. His values are intact, and they will remain so. They’re in his DNA. His punctuality, discipline, hard work and dedication are unmatched. As an artiste, you know how big he is and yet, he is willing to understand and give his best for your vision.

Anyone who has worked with Amitabh Bachchan will agree that he’s like an addiction: Rajkumar Santoshi
Describing Amit ji as an actor is like sooraj ko deepak dikhana. Words will always fall short. In my opinion and understanding of him, he’s a better human being than an actor. He’s par excellence in his field but he’s a far, far nicer human being. He respects everyone’s time. That’s the reason he’s never late. Waqt aur insaan dono ki kadar hai unko. He never wants anyone to bear losses. And with him in the team, people automatically fall in line. Koi kitna bhi experienced ya naya ho, he treats everyone like his teachers. He listens intently and tries every possible method to give the director what he’s looking for. He has no ego and no hassles.

Whenever he enters a set, he has that little naughty smile and he jokes around and has fun with everyone. We filmed Khakee and Family together. We had shot Power for seven days and then I regret not being able to complete it. But anyone who has worked with Amitabh Bachchan will agree that he’s like an addiction, he just spoils you for life. If you don’t work with him, you feel something is just missing. But working with him is also a responsibility; as you have to justify his presence in a movie. On his 80th birthday, I just wish he continues his run till beyond 100 years.