Gajraj Rao: Life mein  dhakke bahut khaye hain
Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 24, 2022)

It was in 1994 that actor Gajraj Rao made his film debut, with Shekhar Kapur’s Bandit Queen. But, not many know that before his stint in films, he has worked at a tailoring shop, a stationery shop and even wrote for Hindustan Times, back in 1989.

“[Life mein] Dhakke bahut khaye hain maine,” he tells us, adding, “I didn’t have a well-planned life, because the financial situation at home wasn’t great. These jobs have taught me a lot. Badi mushkil zindagi thi meri, but I had the fire in me to do something and give my family a good life.”

Originally from Delhi, Rao would often visit Mumbai to find work. Recalling his early days, he says: “I was staying at my friend’s place for a month and was writing a script. That time, paise khatam ho gaye mere. I went from Andheri to Worli to narrate the script, only to be rejected. Jeb mein kul milake 5-6 rupaye the. I didn’t know what to do with it. Should I take a train back home, should I eat... Mujhe pure umeed thi ki meri script approve ho jayegi and I’ll get an advance. Wo jo [din] tha na... Aankhon mein pani aa gaya [sochke] ki main karunga kya.”

Rao shares that he borrowed Rs. 500 from his friend to return to Delhi. “It was a big amount back then. Sharmindagi bhi ho rahi thi mujhe ki ye situation aa gayi aur mujhe ye sab karna pad raha hai. But, it was an important learning that I shouldn’t fall for anyone’s promises. The producer who called me said chinta mat karo, even if the script doesn’t work, but he didn’t stick to his words,” says the Badhaai Ho (2018) actor.

Rao, who’ll soon make his teleplay debut with Akarsh Khurrana’s Gunehgaar, is grateful for his journey. “When I used to get small parts, I’d see more talented actors get nothing. But, I wanted to keep myself financially sound. I decided acting ka shauk tab pura karo jab jeb mein paise ho aur udhaar na lena pade,” he says.