Deepti calls boycott trend ‘atrocious’
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 24, 2022)

Actor Deepti Naval has been in the business for four decades now, and knows the industry inside out. The current negativity attached to the Hindi film industry, especially the boycott calls raised before every other release, is something she finds “unfair” and “tragic”.

“I don’t know why the audience, or some of the audience, has somersaulted and turned against the industry. I don’t know why this has to happen on social media. I know the best of people from the industry, the best of names and talents. I have seen them, some from a distance, and admired them. I know how people slog to make movies, give their life to cinema,” shares the 70-year-old, adding, “I feel saddened with the whole industry being clubbed as the worst place in the world. This is so atrocious.”

Naval, who entered the industry in 1978 with filmmaker Shyam Benegal’s Junoon, says the prevalent sentiment in cinema has always been “kuchh achha project karenge, achha banayenge”. “To attack this dedication, just because of some element... maybe some unfortunate incident... it will destroy the image of the industry,” she rues.

But the Chashme Buddoor (1981) and Bawandar (2000) actor is confident that the industry will brave all storms, and will emerge stronger. Set to be seen next in Goldfish as a mother suffering from dementia, she shares, “It will survive. People in this country love cinema, but right now, it’s going the wrong way. I am sure that this trend is not going to last. They are caught up in this whole negative scenario right now, but I am sure this will die its own sweet death, and cinema will emerge [victorious again]. That’s what I feel.”