Divya: Looking my best, getting the best work now
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 25, 2022)

Divya Dutta, who turns 45 today, doesn’t feel intimidated by ageing, even though she is a part of an industry which always seems age sensitive, especially when it comes to women. She says the fact that another year has been added to her age doesn’t play on her mind.

“Even if I want to think about the age thing, nobody lets me, because I’m considered the youngest in my house, younger than my niece and nephew, too,” Dutta says, adding, “I am looking my best right now, or so everyone says. I am getting the best work, too. I am very proud of being who I am. But I miss my mother.” 

The Hostages actor has a web show, three films and an international project lined up. She is also travelling to promote her book.

Recalling a birthday which turned out to be special but unnerving, Dutta says, “I had three releases lined up in 2008. I invited the films’ units. But I didn’t know they had in turn invited their friends, too. Mera ghar chhota padh gaya! I was so nervous, and these were all big people like (singer) Sonu Nigam, (late actor) Irrfan and (filmmaker) Shyam Benegal!”

She had to call her best friend to help out, who advised that she should just enjoy rather than worrying. “It turned out to be one of my most memorable birthdays. When people celebrate together, space doesn’t remain a concern anymore,” says the actor, who is celebrating her birthday this year in her new sea-facing house in Mumbai.