Sairaji’s gone into a shell: Fellow actors

HINDUSTAN TIMES (April 8, 2022)

Veteran actor Mumtaz, who is a close friend of actor Saira Banu opened up on how the latter has gone into a shell since the death of her husband, yesteryear star Dilip Kumar. She even visited Banu’s bungalow in Pali Hill, however, but didn’t get to meet her Aadmi Aur Insaan (1969) co-actor. “It’s so sad. Saira ji seems to have gone into a shell after Yusuf saab’s sad passing away. I made many attempts to contact her. When I could not reach her, I dropped in at her home. But I couldn’t meet her, I feel really sad,” Mumtaz told Bollywood Hungama.

She added, “I remember the last time I met them at their bungalow. Saira ji was so gracious. She had made really delicious cookies and cakes.”

Actor Dharmendra, who shared the screen space with both of them in Aadmi Aur Insaan, shared he also tried connecting with Banu. “I made many attempts to reach her. She does not answer calls. I was very close to Dilip saab, and to Saira. I don’t want to intrude on her privacy. I hope she is in good health,” he told the portal.

Similarly, actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha also expressed concern over the 77-year old’s health: “After Dilip saab, she has gone into a shell. We all lost the greatest actor. But she lost much more.”

Dilip Kumar passed away in July 2021, aged 98.