‘I had quit films’

HINDUSTAN TIMES (March 28, 2022)

Actor Aamir Khan recently revealed that he had decided to quit the Hindi film industry when the Coronavirus pandemic struck. Talking about it to ABP, he said, “I had quit films. I’d informed my family that I won’t be doing any film from now. Neither will I act, nor produce. I just want to spend my time with you all. Kiran (Rao, producer and ex-wife) and her parents, Reena (Dutta, ex-wife) and her parents, my children, my family are there. My family was shocked.”

He added, “I thought I should tell people that I won’t be acting in films now. But then I thought if I tell people, they will say, ‘This is his marketing scheme as his film Laal Singh Chaddha is about to release.’”

Khan went on to reveal that his children and Rao persuaded him to stay: “I thought it’s better to not say this. Anyway, my film comes after three or four years. Once Laal Singh Chaddha gets released, nobody will realise if I’m doing anything for the next three or four years. By then I’ll leave the industry and nobody will know (sic).”