Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; December 26, 2021)

Atrangi Re marked the third collaboration between producer Bhushan Kumar and filmmaker Aanand L Rai. Of course, music brought them together years before they became co-producers on Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan and Haseen Dillruba. Three films later, they talk about what makes their equation stronger and how they have nurtured it for years. Excerpts…

You both have known each other and partnered on the music of Tanu Weds Manu and other films.How does the equation work when you become co-producers on a project?
Aanand: Our journey has been very long and it started with music. We had both been looking to partner as producers and take the equation to the next level. Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan turned out to be the project. After three films, we have our fourth collaboration ready to go on floors next month, and a couple of films are being discussed. It’s been an enriching journey so far and will be so, as we go along.

As a team, we both have our strengths. He has a strong sense of business and I work more on the creative side. We trust each other to play our individual roles well. In the last few years, we have all witnessed how, as a producer, he has wholeheartedly believed in his creative partners and, in return, has won their trust. I enjoy this collaborative process where we pool in our strengths to make something interesting.
Bhushan: At a personal and professional level, I have gained an invaluable relationship with creatively gifted people like Aanand ji. From the time I have known him, I’ve been eager to work with him in a bigger capacity, which happened eventually with Shubh Mangal… His strengths lie in the way he conceives the films, focusses on the stories and creates wonderful worlds around them. I pitch in with the muscle to ensure the film is made without any compromises. The way we promoted Atrangi Re, people assumed it’s releasing in a theatre when it’s going to an OTT platform. A great combination is where both parties work to their absolute potential and display their strengths as a collective force. Ek jute hokar sab kuch plan aur execute kiya hai humne. That makes the collaboration extremely strong. For me, Aanand ji’s passion, focus, and creativity are superlative.

In a recent chat with BT, Bhushan had mentioned why he had decided to release Atrangi Re on a digital platform. After making the decision to drop the film on OTT, were you ever tempted to have a theatrical run, especially after theatres opened in Maharashtra?
Aanand: We tried very hard. That was a difficult decision to make. As a director, you feel that you had a vision, and you think the film on hand had cinematic value. But eventually, I also learned from this process. We tried our best to reverse the decision, but it didn’t work at so many levels. Today, I don’t feel guilty because we did our best. We have to accept destiny and move on. In fact, today, what makes me happier is that the film has reached a wider audience base than a theatre can promise.
Bhushan: Making films in future will entail a consideration — where we want to release it, and it will become a part of our primary decision-making process. OTT is here to stay, and films will be made keeping a theatrical, or an OTT run in mind. Everyone is thinking ahead. People may be stepping out for an event film like Spider-Man, but they are also scared of the new strain of the COVID virus. We don’t know kal kya hoga. From where I see it, we will need a big event film to go to the theatres. Content-led films, which performed well, will return to theatres, but we will have to wait and watch.
Aanand: Releasing a film on OTT has nothing to do with the size of a star, it has to do with the way you made the film and the story you have on hand. For me, a film’s grandeur lies in its emotional quotient. And that quotient, coupled with the economics of the times, helps one make a decision to release a film on a said platform.
Bhushan: Today, there is a clear demarcation between what can go on OTT and what can go into theatres. So many good films made in the past would have reached so many more people if we had the options we have today.

Lastly, every equation has its share of disagreements, how do you both work in such a situation?
Aanand: Trust and mutual respect for one another’s work are essential here. As a creator, I don’t invest my emotion and time in a film for the sake of it. I have to have a reason to tell the story. When I talk to him about it, he understands it quickly and trusts my word. I respect his inputs on various things because that comes from his experience and vision for the film. I feel more responsible towards him because he gives me the space to function as I like. I’ve earned the right to share my thoughts with him, even on films that I’m not associated with. Disagreements dissolve on their own when two people want the best for one another.
Bhushan: Bina trust factor ke koi equation nahi banti. I have always had faith in Aanand ji. I support his vision — if he believes a newcomer is better suited for a role, I back it because I know eventually, he will turn in a crackling film. Disagreements toh har relationship mein hote hain, but we always find a middle ground.