Lakshmi V, Sharanya C R and Sruthi Raman (BOMBAY TIMES; July 5, 2021)

After lockdown restrictions were eased across the country, Samantha Akkineni is back on the shooting floor. The actress, who is busy completing her Telugu and Tamil projects, has also made her digital debut recently and won a lot of praise for it. In a candid chat with BT, Samantha, who been a part of the film industry for over a decade now, speaks about how years of experience have shaped her film choices, her take on women-centric movies, and more. Excerpts:

Apart from the Telugu and Tamil film industries, you also ventured into the web space this year. Does being an actress with a pan-Indian appeal come with its own set of responsibilities?
Yes, absolutely. It comes with great responsibility for the reason that I have been in the industry for so long. Young people can get influenced pretty easily. The responsibility of it all really has pushed me to become the person that I am today. I don’t like shirking off responsibilities; I like taking them on, as hard as they may be at times. I have never been the person to take the easy route. I get hurt and sad, but I still end up taking the hard route.

When you are vocal about certain issues on a public platform, there are bound to be brickbats. How do you handle the repercussions that come with speaking your mind on issues that matter to you?
I have been in the industry long enough and I know these phases of love and hate. It does not surprise me anymore. But I wouldn’t say that it is not hard. I would not take bullying on social media lightly. It is definitely not easy. It could have a lot of repercussions on one’s mental health. So, I am not going to make it seem like it is a small issue. I can handle it, as I have experienced it over the years. Some others might not be able to, and they should definitely be able to seek help from friends and family.

So, what is your coping mechanism?
I have always given an appropriate answer to trolls, whether it is about something I wear or the work that I am doing. There has always been an answer to the questions that have been fired at me. But I have never been one to get down dirty in the mud.

You completed 11 years in the industry recently. Is there a difference between the Samantha who started out as a model for an ad film and the Samantha who shoulders big-ticket films today?
Well, I have always been very, very hardworking, but I have also been very insecure. I have had a lot of self-doubts. But over the years, that has changed. I have learnt to deal with my insecurities, learnt to take bigger risks.

Today, I’m confident; face my fears, deal with my insecurities head-on, and take bigger risks. These are the three biggest changes that I notice in me now.

Have your film choices changed? Do you look at scripts differently today?
Before, when I used to see scripts, I would ask myself if the film had the potential to become a big hit or not. If the answer was yes, I’d accept the offer. It was more like I was collecting hits in my kitty. But of late, I look for scripts that challenge me. The role has to excite me. It’s not about hits anymore; it’s about pushing boundaries.

Off late we’ve seen ‘women-centric films’ taste a lot of success at the BO. You’ve acted in a few yourself, what’s your take on them?
I believe women in lead roles are killing it, and this phenomenon is noticeable worldwide, across languages and industries. But I do wish that the roles that we are given are not just of underdogs; I want them to be of superheroes and heroines and the powerful. I’ve noticed that in women-centric films, the heroine is always portrayed as a weak girl who rises to the occasion. I wish that would change and we get portrayed from a position of strength. I believe that women should be headlining more films.
--------------------
I LOVE ALIA BHATT!

Every time I see an Alia Bhatt film, I can’t help but think how good she is. She is killing all the roles that she is being offered. She is setting the bar high, considering how young she is. I really loved her in Raazi.