Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 24, 2021)

Manoj Bajpayee is no stranger to awards, and the latest addition to his list is the top recognition at the National Film Awards. He’s been named Best Actor for the film Bhonsle (2019), an honour shared with Dhanush, who won for Tamil film Asuran (2019).

Bajpayee is recovering from Coronavirus at the moment, but the excitement is palpable in his voice: “I am feeling so happy, not only for myself, but also for my director Devashish Makhija, who put all his belief and energy into it. I also feel thankful to Sandiip Kapoor, Piiyush Singh, and all the producers who have put in their energy and support. And everyone in the jury who thought if fit to give me this award.”

This is his third National Award. “Many times in the past, I felt many of my deserving films got left out, but Bhonsle getting it has completely made me forget everything I didn’t get in the past. I thank everyone,” he adds.

Asked if this award is again proof that acclaimed films such as Bhonsle are often ignored by other film awards, which usually focus on ‘commercial’ cinema, Bajpayee is non-committal. “I don’t know, these are very controversial questions. Putting one against the other is not something which is my scene. But it has happened in the past, my film Pinjar (2003) didn’t get any mention in the ‘mainstream’ awards. Getting the National Award definitely makes you forget everything wrong that has happened in the past. But why think about it? You celebrate, be thankful to the Almighty, to all the people who have shown so much belief,” he says.

Bhonsle, he shares, is more than an important film to him. “It is a mission, which has come full circle and completed its journey. It took us four years to arrange the finances, and my association with Devashish started because of this film. There were no takers in this industry. We have done it all alone, with the help of a few people like Sandiip and Piiyush, and many producers who have put little money into it. I really think this award is not only for me, but all these guys,” Bajpayee signs off.