The industry is kind to talented and persistent people-Mouni Roy
8:26 AM
Posted by Fenil Seta

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; September 26, 2020)
It’s been long since Mouni Roy has parked herself abroad. While Mumbai was in a lockdown, she was in Abu Dhabi, then she went to London for a shoot and currently, she is holidaying in Dubai. The actress is busy planning her birthday celebrations with her friends there. Just as she is set to turn a year older, Mouni looks back at her journey in Bollywood, an industry which is currently trapped in several controversies! Just like her late contemporary Sushant Singh Rajput, Mouni, too, was a popular face on television and made a successful transition into movies. In a conversation with us, she recalls her journey — from the time when her father was not happy with her career choice, to feeling misplaced in showbiz and finally, finding solace in the industry.
You shot for a film in London, how was the whole experience of shooting in a foreign country in the times of the Coronavirus pandemic?
I have to admit that the first few days of the shoot were a bit unnerving for everyone on the set, as we all needed to get used to the new ways of working. The government rules and regulations were very tight, which everybody followed. Whether it was social distancing, wearing masks, gloves, face shields or using disinfectants regularly, we did it all. There was a different rehearsal space for actors and the director, as only one unit could be on the set at a time. So, every department had a different holding area. And the rule was, only one department was allowed at one time on the set. Also, we had to do mandatory swab tests every week. So, overall, I ended up undergoing six tests! I must admit, it’s not fun at all, but it does give you the relief of working fearlessly. The best part was, not one single person in the unit fell sick because we all followed the protocols. I guess this is the new normal and we all will have to follow it to continue doing what we love to do.
After Sushant Singh Rajput’s demise, the alleged dark side of Bollywood has become a talking point. Like Sushant, you too, came from the ‘outside’ and made a successful transition from television to movies. Can you relate to the ongoing conversation on insiders and outsiders?
I was studying in Delhi University when I came to know that auditions for a TV show were underway. I went in for the auditions and a few days later, got a call saying that I have been zeroed down for the part. I was all set to play Krishna Tulsi in Kyunki... Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. My father wasn’t very happy with my decision to become an actor. He wanted me to become an IAS Officer. So, it took some convincing. Soon after, I flew to Mumbai and started shooting. I realised that it was a very different space and place to be in. I didn’t know anyone there. There were tough days, as I didn’t know what I was doing, but soon, my parents, and my friends Roopali Kadyan and Anisha Varma, became my biggest support system. I also found a guide and mentor in Ekta Kapoor ma’am, Nandini Shrikent, Ayan Mukerji, Dinesh Vijan, Vanessa and Bunty Walia, Reema ma’am, Ritesh sir and Mukesh Chhabra sir, who called me to audition for all the roles that I’ve done so far. They continued to be my biggest strength even when I transitioned into films. Also, my audience keeps motivating me to do better.
So, you never felt like an ‘outsider’ in the industry?
The insider-outsider debate is not new. It is true that star kids get their first projects easily, but I would like to reiterate that your talent is your biggest weapon. The industry is extremely kind to talented and persistent people. It is important to hold your ground and have perseverance. You might have to wait for that one big breakthrough, but it is worth the wait.
There is a lot being spoken about supposed high-profile drug parties in Bollywood, and how celebrities are allegedly part of a drug mafia. Have you come across any such scenes in your journey?
Many believe that networking, socialising and attending parties are mandatory if you want to remain visible. But to each, his own. As for me, I believe that if I work hard, my career will achieve a kind of longevity. My goal is to keep getting better at my craft and so, I keep working on my acting and dancing.
You said that your father never wanted you to get into showbiz. Did you ever reach a point where you regretted the career choice you made?
I had my share of tough days, but never, for once, did I question my decision to join the entertainment business. Looking back, I think it is one of the best decisions that I ever made, and I cherish every bit of my journey.
Your birthday is around the corner (September 28). You are away from your folks, in Dubai. What are your plans this year?
Planning is still underway, but mostly, I shall celebrate it with my friends here. I will also pray, chant, read and eat at someplace nice with my close ones.
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
Coronavirus,
Interviews,
London,
Mouni Roy,
Mouni Roy interview
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment