Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; October 15, 2019)

Anees Bazmee is ready with yet another multistarrer comedy film, Pagalpanti. The filmmaker spoke to BT about what makes the cast of this movie so special, his films that are yet to see the light of day and making Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 ,minus Akshay Kumar. Read on...

You are known to direct madcap, comic multi-starrers. What is special about the gang of actors in Pagalpanti?
The cast is really special because I have worked with Anil Kapoor in so many films. This would be my eleventh film with him. Also, I have earlier worked with John Abraham in Welcome Back (2015). In that film, he hardly had two comedy scenes. His expressions in those scenes were so impressive that back then, I had told him that one day I would like to direct him in a full-fledged comic role. When I approached him for this film, he said that he was really fond of comedy movies and was keen to do something like this.

The entire film has been shot in London, what are your fond memories from the shoot?
We were in London for a span of three months, and every single day of the shoot was memorable. Everybody got along really well. Sometimes, we would think that it is Arshad (Warsi) who is making everyone laugh. Then the next day, we would feel that it is Anil who is keeping everyone entertained. We all sat together and ate together for three months, as we were shooting for a long schedule at a stretch. In fact, after winding up, on the first day of the shoot, I was in my hotel room. I got a call on the landline. One of the team members invited me to the hotel’s restaurant saying that the entire team had gathered there for dinner and they wanted to speak with me. When I reached there, I was surprised to see the producers and all the actors, including Anil Kapoor, John Abraham, Arshad Warsi, Pulkit Samrat and Ileana D’Cruz, welcoming me. They told me, ‘Hum sabne milke decide kiya hai ke ki jald se jald humein Pagalpanti 2 ki shoot start karni hai.’ I was really surprised to know that the entire cast was asking me to begin the film’s sequel on the first day of the shoot itself. So, you can well imagine ki humne kya picture banayi hogi (laughs!). Seriously, the shoot felt like a paid vacation.

Tell us about the one complete ‘Pagalpanti’ incident that happened on the sets. One that you cannot get over.
There was a particular scene which I think was jinxed! It was a birthday party scene, which we wanted to shoot outdoors. The set needed to be decked up for the shoot as it was all about celebration. However, every time we were ready with the shot, baarish aa jaati thi! This happened nearly half a dozen times. Even if the day looked sunny and we managed to set up the shot, in the end, rains would play spoilsport. Also, out of frustration when we used to set the same scene indoors, baahar aasman khula ho jaata tha. It would a sunny day with clear skies.

You have worked with Anil Kapoor in nearly a dozen films. We believe you share a strong equation with him.
Anil Kapoor has known me since the time I would give claps in Raj Kapoor’s movies. The first time we met was on the sets of Prem Rog (1982). He is one actor who takes time to analyse a script. He hears it out, understands it, and then makes a decision. I have done films like No Entry (2005), Welcome (2007) and Welcome Back with him. Over the years, he has become extremely confident and comfortable working with me. He always tells me that aap toh kuch zabardast hi karwaoge mujhse.

You started your journey in Bollywood as a writer, with Swarg, in 1990. You have been a part of the industry for nearly three decades. People know you for your comic ventures. What are the other genres of films that you would like to direct?
I think comedy comes easily to me. Having said that, I am very comfortable with other genres, too. In fact, I made a few films belonging to different genres, but unfortunately, they haven’t released till date. My comedy films released one after the other, and people got the impression that I am comfortable only with comedy movies. I did a suspense thriller-action film with Ajay Devgn called Naam, which also starred Bhumika Chawla and Sameera Reddy. For Boney Kapoor, I made It’s My Life. It was a love story starring Harman Baweja, Genelia D’Souza and Nana Patekar. These were beautiful movies. I wish they had released.

Now, you are busy with Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2. Do you miss having Akshay Kumar in the film?
Akshay is a huge star and a great actor. I have a great rapport with him as I have made three films with him. People are saying that he has been replaced. I don’t feel ki Akshay Kumar ka koi replacement hai. It is a fresh story with a fresh cast — Kartik Aaryan and Kiara Advani. It is not a psychological thriller (like the original), but a ghost story. We have retained two songs from the earlier film, which includes Bhool Bhulaiyaa and Ami Je Tomar. I just wish that we get Akshay to do a cameo in the film, though we haven’t yet approached him.

Since a long time, the sequel to No Entry is being discussed. Any development there?
The story, the screenplay and the dialogues are ready; I am just waiting for Boney Kapoor (producer) to say, ‘Let’s start!'