Radhika Madan
Dhaval Mehta (DNA; August 24, 2019)

Her first TV show Meri Aashiqui Tumse Hi was a hit, but once it was over, Radhika Madan decided to step into Bollywood. And it wasn’t a dreamy outing. For her debut, Vishal Bharadwaj’s Pataakha (2018), the actress had to gain 12 kg and was given a bedraggled look, complete with frizzy hair. For her second outing, Vasan Bala’s Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota opposite newcomer Abhimanyu Dassani, she had to master action. About her not-so-glam entry, she says, “This made my base strong and I realised that looks are not important and just have to focus on my craft. The best thing Vishal and Vasan sir did was help me get rid of my inhibitions as an actor.”

As her third project, she has a big one in her kitty — Angrezi Medium with Kareena Kapoor Khan and Irrfan,  no less! Not surprisingly, Radhika calls it a dream team. “Kareena and Irrfan were a big help. Homi sir (Adajania) is the coolest director that I have ever worked with,” says the actress. She confesses that she was awestruck by Kareena. “I played it cool in front of her when I met her. However, on the other hand, I was ecstatic! But she made me so comfortable.” As for working with Irrfan, she states, “I got to learn the craft from the man himself. I couldn’t have asked for more. There was so much to learn every day.”

Radhika’s good run in the industry so far makes it seem like taking the risk of quitting TV at the peak of her career has paid off. “I was getting a lot of projects and producers were offering me a lot of money. But, I was adamant that I wanted to do films and they would say, nothing is going to happen,” Radhika recalls, adding, “I had to choose between getting comfortable, earning good money and chasing my dreams. And, I chose my dreams.” Though she bagged a project with one of the most renowned filmmakers Vishal, it wasn’t smooth sailing for her, as MKDNH was shelved for one-and-a-half years. “That was an extremely difficult period in my life. At the end of the day, everything worked out quite well,” she smiles.

It’s a given that star kids get a dream launch. Radhika believes that though they have access to a good debut, only someone who is talented can stay in the industry. “I am happy to be part of the era where characters are getting appreciated and talent is recognised,” says she. As for her take on the competition with other contemporaries, she says, “One person cannot do everything and there is space for everyone to co-exist. When Sanya bags a project, I get excited and celebrate for her. Everybody should get their due and it’s not like, I’ve to pull someone down to get ahead. I am only focussing on my work at the moment.”

Radhika’s next post Angrezi Medium is Sunny Kaushal starrer Shiddat “I’m really excited about that,” she signs off.