Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; August 16, 2019)

Veteran actress Waheeda Rehman will next be seen in the international film Desert Dolphin, which is based on skateboarding. The film, which is co-written by Vinaty Makijany, marks the directorial debut of Manjari Makijany, and is set in the rustic village of Khempur near Udaipur, Rajasthan. Vinaty and Manjari are yesteryear actor Mac Mohan’s daughters. The most interesting part, however, is the fact that Waheeda Rehman has returned to shoot in Udaipur after 54 years. She last shot in the ‘City of Lakes’ for Guide (1965). Feeling nostalgic about shooting in Udaipur, the actress says, “I have come to Udaipur after a very long time. I remember that when we were shooting for Guide, we had stayed at the Lake Palace Hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when the makers of this film organised a trip to the Palace, where I could relive those memories.”

Talking about coming on board for an independent project, she shares, “I have never thought of a project as big or small. I have always wanted to and have been experimenting. But in my 60-year-long career, I have never said yes to a project so quickly. To my knowledge, this is also the first time that I am working with a female director.”