Kareena Kapoor Khan
Chaya Unnikrishnan (DNA; June 3, 2019)

Kareena Kapoor Khan is finally taking the plunge on the small screen. The actress is making her TV debut with the reality show Dance India Dance (DID), as a judge. “Yes, it is one of the oldest and biggest dance shows on TV, and one which Saif and I used to watch. I had got a lot of offers before this, but time was a constraint. TV requires long hours and I work only for eight hours a day. Rest of the time I spend with my family and son Taimur. I want to be at home before his dinner time. That was the only hurdle that I had to cross with Zee. They shoot 12 hours, but the first day they left me early and second day it was a little late. They are balancing it out nicely," says the diva.

So far, people have seen her playing different characters on screen, but on the show, they will be exposed to her real persona. Is she ready for that? “I have been one actor who has been quite real whether on screen or in photos. Yes, that diva tag is there, it’ll always be there, but you will see a side of me which will be more about connecting with people up close and personal,” shares the Veere Di Wedding actress. 

However, she confesses to being a little apprehensive about foraying onto the small-screen. “My journey on TV is new. The contestants are actually going to show me the way to the finale. I am excited and as nervous as them. I don’t know about dance reality shows or the way TV operates,” she says candidly. But she is clear about the parameters on which she will judge the contestants. “I enjoy myself while dancing, but I am not a dancer with a perfect finishing because I am not trained in it. For me dance is about zest, energy and expression. I will be looking at the contestant’s face because when I dance, people look at my expressions,” says Kareena who has some hit dance numbers to her credit like Chammak Challo (Ra.One), Fevicol Se (Dabangg 2), and It’s Rocking (Kya Love Story Hai).

Her favourite, however, is Yeh Ishq Haye from Jab We Met. "For the first time I shot in Spiti Valley and in minus two degrees. It was beautiful. I have yet to see such a free-spirited song on screen," she smiles.

Ask her who her favourite dancers on screen are and pat comes the reply, “Mithun Chakraborty and Govinda”. Incidentally, Mithun, who has been the Grandmaster on DID for several seasons, is not a part of the show this time. "Yes, we will miss him, but you never know, he might be back for one of the episodes," reveals Kareena. What about her sister Karisma, who was known for her energetic moves? “Yes, Karisma is the quintessential diva, the original dance queen. We are waiting for her to come as a celebrity guest on DID. Hopefully, both the sisters will be together,” she laughs.

There have been reports about her being the highest paid TV star as she is getting a hefty pay packet. “The pay packet has to definitely be good. If a male judge is getting so much, a female judge can. I am the first mainstream actress to do TV, a dance reality show, at this point in the career. I am getting what I deserve for the number of hours I put in,” she signs off.

Kareena Kapoor Khan