Actor Varun Dhawan on his girlfriend, and chemistries on and off screen
Jitesh Pillaai (TIMES LIFE; June 2, 2019)

Did October influence you with regard to relationships?
It moved me as far as relationships are concerned. It made me realise you never know what’s going to happen next.

The grapevine suggests that you’re getting married to Natasha Dalal this year.
It’s not going to happen this year. I’m not saying I won’t get married but it’s not this soon. If I’m doing all these movies, I need to find the right time for that.

Natasha’s often spotted with your parents. She seems to have become part of the family…
She and I went to school together. So, she knows my parents since ages. She’s been attending functions with my parents before also but it wasn’t photographed then.

What does she add to your life?
She’s my rock, she’s my anchor. She’s the stabilising factor in my life. It’s pretty much like family.

What kind of a boyfriend are you?
In the last couple of years, I’ve been really good. I’ve understood what it’s like to be in a relationship and the whole love vibe. I’m enjoying it. I’m having a great time.

How were you before?
I was much younger na. So, I didn’t understand it completely. But now I’m probably enjoying it more than her. The one who experiences it knows how it feels.

Being the hero of the masses – is that your dream?
Yes. That’s been my aim since the start of my career. I do mass entertainers to please my audience. Having said that, I love my films – Badlapur, October and Sui Dhaaga: Made In India. They taught me a lot. They helped me get in touch with things I feared I’d lose.

Alia Bhatt and you share unbelievable chemistry...
There’s definitely some magic and we both know that. That’s the reason we keep coming back and working together. Otherwise, I can’t work with anyone so many times. We get along as people. Our passions are the same. We both are competitive with each other. As passionately as we care for each other, we fight also. But what’s great is that ours is an honest relationship. It’s not a fake one like, ‘Okay, pack up. See you tomorrow.’ Or ‘How am I looking? Oh very pretty’. Instead, with us, it’s like if you’re not looking good, you’re not looking good and if you’re looking good, you’re looking good.

Is there any film you wish you should have done?
I loved Stree and its concept. I loved what Rajkummar Rao did in the climax because generally everyone thinks of him as a serious actor. I’m happy for him.

Apparently, you were offered 21 crores for Street Dancer 3D. How important is market value for you?
Actually, it’s more than that. The money is coming and it’s good. Though you don’t need that much money to live. Main kya karunga usska?

Do you want a marriage like that of your parents?
One person’s marriage cannot be like that of the other. It has to be in accordance to who you are as a person. What’s on my mind right now is my niece (Rohit and Jaanvi Dhawan’s daughter). I saw her after a while. She pulled my T-shirt and recognised me. I got so excited. I want to go and play with her now.

You would probably make for a fantastic father in the future…
That I don’t know. But I’m a superb chachu right now. You’ve no idea how my family is tripping over her. People just melt when they see her. She’s ruling us.