Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 13, 2018)

Ishaan’s choice of his debut film, Beyond The Clouds (BTC), which released earlier this year, was unconventional and rare. However, his performance grabbed eyeballs and he left the audience impressed and eager to see more of him. Now, his second film, Dhadak, which is the Hindi adaptation of the Marathi blockbuster, Sairat, has added to the buzz around him. In an exclusive interview with BT, the young actor talks about Dhadak being compared with Sairat, his equation with co-star Janhvi, who is making her Bollywood debut, and why he is not bothered about being judged. Excerpts…

Sairat had amassed much acclaim from the critics as well as the masses. Since it has set such a high benchmark, are you feeling the pressure to live up to expectations?
Usually, I tend to feel the pressure more for other people than myself. However, this time around, I am feeling more pressure than during my first film, BTC. Having said that, the pressure doesn’t come from a negative space. It’s just that there is a lot of anticipation, nervous energy and excitement. The way the film is being presented and the banner (Dharma Productions) that’s backing it, make it rather overwhelming. Janhvi and I are deeply attached to this film, mostly for what we have been through during its making.

Talking about pressure, how are you dealing with the comparisons between Sairat and Dhadak on social media?
I have been enjoying some of the trolling, but it’s important to maintain your perspective amidst all of that. People are judging a full-length feature film on the basis of a two-and-a-half minute promo. What matters will be the opinions that come after one has seen the film. While the key elements of Sairat have been retained, Dhadak is a new film in itself. In fact, it’s the characterisation that makes it fresh. Shashank’s (Khaitan, director) imprint on Dhadak is huge. He has brought a lot of his own life into it. It’s his interpretation of Sairat, which is also a kind of template for the films we have been watching over the years, be it Romeo And Juliet or Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak. We didn’t make Dhadak to outdo Sairat. The idea is to present a story that will resonate with a larger audience. Sairat was a phenomenal film because besides being engaging, entertaining and artistic, it also had a socially relevant message. However, Dhadak is not its copy or made under its shadow. Sairat has inspired us to do something of our own.

Many feel that Sairat worked because of its raw treatment and the fact that it was a small-budget film. Dhadak, on the other hand, looks mounted on a larger canvas, and with faces like Janhvi and you..
I don’t completely understand the term ‘Bollywoodise’. According to me, it means a certain production value, feel and projection. But I think what’s important is to understand the film that you are making and the reality of the characters and their world. Also, the tonality of our film and the promo so far have been largely of the first act of the film, which is slightly dreamy and fantastical. I don’t think any attempts were made to Bollywoodise this film or to de-Bollywoodise it.

There is a perception that today’s generation isn’t capable of falling in love like the characters in Sairat and Dhadak...
I don’t agree with that perception. We live in a world where there are over seven billion people and there are many stories that make you hopeful and optimistic about love. The fact that we are making a film about love, with conviction proves that it exists. I am not somebody who can trick myself into believing something, though that’s an actor's job. Doing a film, which is primarily about unconditional love, would be a farce if I were just pretending. So, I do believe that the kind of love we are talking about, exists. Love is in smaller gestures. I am a romantic at heart, and I think I can fall in love like my character… I am capable of that (smiles!)

While you entered the industry with BTC, would you call Dhadak your big Bollywood debut, as the former wasn’t technically mainstream?
BTC wasn’t watched by a lot of people. Having said that, these are labels that people give. I have heard too many since childhood — star kid, industry insider, so on and so forth. I don’t use these terms. For me, Dhadak is a film and I am an actor. I got the opportunity to do BTC and felt strongly about it. Majidi Sir wanted me in the film and Karan (Johar, producer) was kind enough to allow me to it first. Then Dhadak happened and again, I am very happy to be a part of it. I am just 22 and feel very fortunate that I get to act. I always wanted to start early and I am just trying to grow.

One of the main highlights of Dhadak is your pairing with Janhvi, who is making her debut with this film. Tell us about your equation with her...
Janhvi is quite a comic relief on the set. She keeps doing these funny things unintentionally, cracking all of us up. She might seem a bit quiet, especially when she is representing the film, but that’s because she has her game face on. She is quite notorious (laughs!). When she feels at home, she is her uninhibited best and becomes a prankster. Actually, we played a lot of pranks and had great fun on the set. It’s been perhaps the most delightful experience of our lives so far, if I can say that on her behalf. We had a wonderful time prepping for the characters together. We got a lot of time to understand the cultural milieu, the mind-set of the characters and we also got a feel of Udaipur. We interacted with a lot of local people there. We were able to walk around without any restrictions.

Soon, you will be a known face, who probably won’t be able to walk around the streets without being noticed or being captured by the paparazzi. How prepared are you for this phase of life?
If people have to judge me, let them do it. I do believe that it’s important to protect your personal space. Encroachment into personal life is not something any celebrity asks for. Having said that, it’s important to be aware that people will have an opinion on your personal decisions as well.