Natasha Coutinho (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 4, 2018)

This month, the TV show Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah completes a decade of being on air. Based on the column ‘Duniya Ne Undha Chashma’ written by the late columnist and journalist Taarak Mehta for a Gujarati weekly magazine, the show premiered on July 28, 2008 and has enjoyed an uninterrupted run while regularly featuring among the top 10 shows on TRP charts.

Dilip Joshi, who plays Jethalal on the show, told Mirror, “I knew the concept was good because Taarak Mehta was a legendary writer, whose works I have been reading since childhood. Producer Asit bhai (Modi) offered me the role and I loved it but the show lasting for 10 years is a miracle. I would often feel that I was repeating myself, but we have been safe since it’s a comedy.”

The actor goes on to add that keeping the show fresh was crucial. “And because of that, fans want it to go on. When they come on set they expect Daya (Disha Vakani) to speak exactly how she does on screen. We have shot in places ranging from Rann of Kutch to Hong Kong,” he says.

And what’s it been like working with Disha Vakani, his onscreen wife who is currently on a break after delivering her baby? “A fantastic costar always helps. Disha is an experienced theatre artiste and we have featured in some wonderful scenes together. I miss her, but we have to respect her priorities,” Joshi says.